(Redirected from Henry John Newbolt)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- To set the cause above renown,
To love the game above the prize.
- The Island Race (1898).
- The work of the world must still be done,
And minds are many though truth be one.
- The Echo.
- Princes of courtesy, merciful, proud and strong.
- And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote --
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'
- Describing a game of cricket.
- Vitai Lampada
- Drake, he's in his hammock till the great Armadas come,
(Captain, art tha sleepin' there below?)
Slung atween the roundshot, list'ning for the drum,
And dreamin' arl the time o' Plymouth Hoe.
- Song Drake's Drum (NB: the odd spelling reflects the Devon dialect).