(Redirected from Hundertwasser, Friedensreich)
|This Architect article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- A person in a rented apartment must be able to lean out of his window and scrape off the masonry within arm's reach. And he must be allowed to take a long brush and paint everything outside within arm's reach. So that it will be visible from afar to everyone in the street that someone lives there who is different from the imprisoned, enslaved, standardised man who lives next door.
- There are no evils in Nature, there are only evils of Man.
- Title of manifesto (May 1990)
Mould Manifesto against Rationalism in Architecture (1958)
- Everyone should be able to build, and as long as this freedom to build does not exist, the present-day planned architecture cannot be considered art at all.
- We must at last put a stop to having people move into their quarters like chickens and rabbits into their coops.
- Only when architect, bricklayer and tenant are a unity, or one and the same person, can we speak of architecture. Everything else is not architecture, but a criminal act which has taken on form.
- Today we live in a chaos of straight lines, in a jungle of straight lines. If you do not believe this, take the trouble to count the straight lines which surround you. Then you will understand, for you will never finish counting.
- The straight line is godless and immoral.
- [This sentence also occurs in Hundertwasser's manifesto "On the Paradise Destroyed by the Straight Line" (1985).]
Island of Lost Desires (1980)
- Aotearoa : Insel der verlorenen Wünsche : island of lost desire : île des désirs perdus : Hundertwasser in New Zealand (1980)
- I close my eyes halfway just as when I conceive paintings and I see the houses 'Dunkelbunt' -glowing in pure strong and deep colours a little sad like seem on a rainy day instead of ugly cream colour and green meadows on all roofs instead of corrugated iron. p.6
- I am looking forward
to become humus myself
buried naked without coffin
under a beech tree planted by myself
on my land in ao tea roa. p6