Jacob's Ladder (film)
Jacob's Ladder is a 1990 film about a haunted Vietnam vet, mourning his dead child, who attempts to discover his past while suffering from a severe case of disassociation. To do so, he must decipher reality and life from his own dreams, delusion, and perception of death.
- Eckhart saw Hell too. He said: The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you, he said. They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth. It's just a matter of how you look at it, that's all. So don't worry, okay?
- Army Officer: Mr. Singer. What an appropriate name for a man who can't shut up.
- Elsa: [reading Jacob's palm] See. According to this, you're already dead. [laughs]
- Jezebel: Well, personally, I never went for church names.
- [Jacob laughs]
- Jezebel: What?
- Jacob: Where do you think Jezebel came from?
- Jezebel: No one calls me that.
- Jacob: You're such a heathen, Jezzie. How'd I ever get involved with such a fuckin' ninny?
- Jezebel: You sold your soul, remember? That's what you told me.
- Jacob: Yeah? For what?
- Jezebel: A good lay.
- Jacob: Look what I got.
- Jezebel & Jacob: The best.
- Jacob: Jezzie? Get me out of here.
- Evil Doctor: Where do you want to go?
- Jacob: Home.
- Evil Doctor: Home? This is your home. You're dead.
- Jacob: Dead? No. I just hurt my back, I'm not dead.
- Evil Doctor: What are you, then?
- Jacob: I'm alive.
- Evil Doctor: Then what are you doing here?
- Jacob: I don't know. [crying] This isn't happening.
- Evil Doctor: What is happening?
- Jacob: Get me out of here.
- Evil Doctor: There is no out of here. You've been killed, don't you remember?
- Louis: Well, you've done it to yourself this time, haven't you?
- Jacob: Am I dying, Louie?
- Louis: From a slipped disk? That'll be a first.
- Michael: I'd only been in jail 13 hours, I thought 'Nam couldn't be any worse.
- Jacob: Shows how little you knew.
- Michael: Yeah, really.
- Jacob: You know you look like an angel, Louie? Like an overgrown cherub. Anyone ever tell you that?
- Louis: [smiling] Yeah, you. Every time you see me.
- Jacob: You're a lifesaver, Louie.
- Louis: [smiling] Yeah, I know.
- Tim Robbins - Jacob Singer
- Elizabeth Peña - Jezebel "Jezzie" Pipkin
- Danny Aiello - Louis Denardo
- Matt Craven - Michael Newman
- Pruitt Taylor Vince - Paul
- Jason Alexander - Mr Geary, the lawyer
- Patricia Kalember - Sarah
- Eriq La Salle - Frank
- Ving Rhames - George
- Brent Hinkley - Jerry
- S. Epatha Merkerson - Elsa
- Kyle Gass - Tony
- Lewis Black - Jacob's doctor
- Perry Lang - Jacob's assailant
- Macaulay Culkin - Gabe Singer (uncredited)