(Redirected from Needed)
A need is a thing that is necessary for an organism to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants in that, in the case of a need, a deficiency causes a clear adverse outcome: a dysfunction or death.
|This economics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Human needs, although originally derived from biological necessity, are thus a result of the existence of society and are conditioned by the stage of development which society has reached.
- Oskar R. Lange "The Subject Matter of Political Economy: Elementary Concepts"
- Clark Kent: The guy isn't a 24-hour pharmacy chief, he must not have felt like he was needed. Calling attention to Superman not being around only serves to put a big target on the people of Metropolis.
- Superman #13 written by Scott Lobdell
- Spock: Do not grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many, outweigh...
- Kirk: The needs of the few.
- Spock: Or the one. I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan written by Jack B. Sowards and Nicholas Meyer
- Disability is a matter of perception. If you can do just one thing well, you’re needed by someone.
- Martina Navratilova, quoted in p 15, Grand Ideas from Within By Janice M. Mcdermott & Joan Stewart
- Pedott: I feel sorry for you. I really do.
- Renard: I don't want you to. I don't want you to go to that kind of trouble. I just want you to keep supplying me with what I need. I don't care what it is. Scissors to save my lousy hide or a leaky fountain pen so I can pick winners. But whatever it is, I want it to keep coming. I don't want it to stop.
- Pedott: That's a pity, because it must stop. It must stop now.
- Renard: Why? Why does it have to stop?
- Pedott: Because the things you need most I can't supply.
- Renard: What are they?
- Pedott: Serenity, peace of mind, humor, the ability to laugh at oneself. Those are the things you need most, but it's beyond my power to give them to you.
- Renard: What do I need? You tell me, old man.
- Pedott: One needs many different things.
- Renard: Yeah, yeah, but what do I need now? Huh? What do I need tonight?
- Rod Serling, The Twilight Zone (1959 TV series)
- One needs something to believe in, something for which one can have whole-hearted enthusiasm. One needs to feel that one's life has meaning, that one is needed in this world.
- Hannah Szenes, Hannah Senesh: Her Life and Diary (1938).