Nine to Five
Nine to Five is a 1980 comedy film starring Lily Tomlin, Jane Fonda and Dolly Parton as three secretaries who plan revenge on their sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical boss, Franklin Hart (Dabney Coleman).
- Mr. Hart, I sign your name better than you do!
- Oh Mr. Hart, you didn't make a mistake. You see I'll just have to remember to check, the next time I'm asked to go to work at a convention that there is a convention going on.
- I'm as nice as I know how to be to every single person down at that office. Everybody treats me like a bastard at a family reunion.
- So, you've been tellin' everybody I've been sleepin' with ya, huh? Well that explains it! That's why these people treat me like some dime-store floozy. They think I'm screwin' the boss! Oooh, and you just love it, don't you? It gives you some sort of cheap thrill like knockin' over pencils and pickin' up papers! Get your scummy hands offa me! Look I've been straight with you since the first day I got here, and I've put up with all of your pinchin' and starin' and chasin' me around the desk because I need this job. But this is the last straw! Look I got a gun out there in my purse. And up till now I've been forgivin' and forgettin' because of the way I was brought up. But I tell you one thing - if you ever say another word about me or make another indecent proposal, I'm gonna get that gun of mine. And I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot! Don't think I can't do it!!!
- Well, I say we hire a couple of wranglers to go upstairs and beat the shit out of him.
- He's got you for poisoning him, and me for roping him, and you for acting like he was first prize at a turkey shoot!
- I'm a widow with four kids. You know, Jerry should never have died. I'd be better off - I could've divorced him.
- We're gonna need a special locker for the hat.
- I have never seen anyone leap frog so fast to the top in my life. And I have the bad back to prove it. I remember when he was just a management trainee . . . in fact, I'm the one who trained him.
- (On the phone): Oh, come on kids. Come on, no fighting. Believe me, there is more than one peanut butter and banana sandwich in the world, what did I say this morning? OK.....love you too....no, I don't wanna talk to the dog, bye bye...
- I'm no fool, I've killed the boss! Do you think they're not gonna fire me for a thing like that?
- (To a hospital tea-lady): "I'm a doctor! So why the hell am I talking to you? Piss off!
- Oh oh, here comes General Patton!
- You're foul, Hart. A wart on the nose of humanity, and I'm gonna blast it off!
- You know, I smoked a marijuana cigarette at a party once. I could never figure out what the big deal was.
- Mr. Hart, Violet didn't mean to kill you, she just accidently put rat poison in your coffee!
- It looks just like Skinny & Sweet. Except for the little skull and crossbones on the label.
- And if I wanna have an affair, or play sex games, or do M&M's, you can't stop me!
- As a matter of fact, I smoke pot!
- Hit the road, buster! This is where you get off!
- Four weeks? What are you, out of your mind? You think I'm gonna spend four weeks of my life drifting around on that dago boat?!?
- Margaret: Violet! Where're you going?
Violet: I'm gonna get drunk!
Margaret: Atta girl!
- Roz: Where are you going?
Doralee: I need a drink, Roz! I'm taking the rest of the day off.
Margaret: Atta girl!
- Judy: Does Violet know about this?
Margaret: Not yet, she's down at Charlie's getting drunk!
Judy: Well, I'm gonna tell her, this is a disgrace!
Margaret: Atta girl!
- Judy: "We've got to do something!
Margaret: Sure, let's all revolt.
- Roz: Oh, Violet, I haven't heard from you. Did you get my memo?
Violet: I did, Roz, I tore right through it.
- Eddie (to Judy, on her first day of work): Lady, you're gonna hate it here!
- Maria: "Jo's leaving. They won't let her work part time.
Margaret: Of course they won't. It would make things too convenient.
- Judy: "Oh, this is awful. It's so improper. It's so disrepectful!
Violet: He's dead, he doesn't mind!
- Doralee: Violet, I didn't think you smoked [marijuana]. You roll your own?
Violet: Ssshhh, we don't have enough for everybody, cool it!
- Hart: But why? Why?
Violet: Why do you think?
Hart: Because I'm a sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot?
Violet (grinning): Bingo!
- Judy: Where's the body?
- Violet: In the trunk! Look, all we have to do is get some cement blocks, chain them to his feet and pitch him off the end of the pier and no one will ever know.
Doralee: You are crazy! They'll find it, they always find it!
Violet: Oh-hoh, crazy am I? They never found Jimmy Hoffa!
- Violet: What can we get on him?
Judy: A sex scandal! Take a picture of him in bed with a prostitute!
Doralee: Oh, who would care?
Violet: Yeah, Hart would just buy up the copies and send them out as Christmas cards!
- Violet: One thing you should know about dear Roz, she is the eyes, ears, nose and throat of Mr. Hart - anything she hears, he hears
Judy: You mean, she's a company spy?
Violet: Sshhh, I wouldn't say that. I'll just say that if you wanna gossip in the ladies room, I'd check first under the stalls for her shoes!
- Hospital Cleaning Woman (discovers a dead corpse sitting in a wheelchair in a gentleman's restroom): Hey, Vera! We've got another stiff in the john.
- Dick (to Judy after seeing Hart tied up): So, that's what you're into now. Bondage.
Judy: What's that?
Dick: Bondage, S&M, sex games.
Judy (thinking fast): That's right. All of it. I'm into everything now get out of here.
Dick: I can't believe it! Who is that guy anyway?
Judy: He's my boss.
Dick: Your boss. You're having an affair with your boss! Isn't that typical?!
Judy: Just like you had an affair with your secretary!
Dick: But Judy, this isn't you. You can't be serious.
Judy: Don't you tell me what I can and can't do! Those days are over! And if I want to have an affair or play sex games or do M&M's, you can't stop me!
- Getting even is a full-time job.
- They're showing the Boss who's the BOSS!
- The power behind the throne
- Jane Fonda - Judy Bernly
- Lily Tomlin - Violet Newstead
- Dolly Parton - Doralee Rhodes
- Dabney Coleman - Franklin M. Hart Jr.
- Elizabeth Wilson - Roz Keith
- Henry Jones - Mr. Hinkle
- Lawrence Pressman - Dick Bernly
- Marian Mercer - Missy Hart,
- Ren Woods - Barbara
- Norma Donaldson - Betty
- Roxanna Bonilla-Giannini - Maria Delgado
- Peggy Pope - Margaret Foster
- Richard Stahl - Meade
- Ray Vitte - Eddie Smith
- Jeffrey Douglas Thomas - Dwayne Rhodes