Oklahoma! (1955 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Oklahoma (1955 film))
- Directed by Fred Zinnemann. Written by Sonya Levien and William Ludwig, based on the play by Oscar Hammerstein II.
- [singing] There's a bright golden haze on the meadow,
There's a bright golden haze on the meadow.
The corn is as high as a elephant's eye,
And it looks like it's climbin' clear up to the sky.
Oh, what a beautiful mornin',
Oh, what a beautiful day!
I got a beautiful feelin'
Everything's goin' my way.
- [singing] Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry
When I take you out in the surrey,
When I take you out in the surrey with the fringe on top!
Watch that fringe and see how it flutters
When I drive them high steppin' strutters.
Nosey pokes'll peek thru' their shutters and their eyes will pop!
The wheels are yeller, the upholstery's brown,
The dashboard's genuine leather,
With isinglass curtains y' can roll right down,
In case there's a change in the weather.
- [about Laurey] If she liked me any more, she'd sic the dogs on me.
- [to Jud] How did you get to be the way you are anyhow? A-sittin' up here in this filthy hole? [referring to the smokehouse] Why don't you do something healthy once in a while, instead of staying shut up here, a-crawlin' and a-festerin'?
- Carnes: [to Ali, cocking his gun] That's enough. In this country that better be a proposal of marriage.
- Ali Hakim: [about Ado Annie] I wanted to marry her when I saw the moonlight shining on the barrel of her father's shotgun.
- Aunt Eller Murphy: [with gun in hand] SING! SING! C'mon now! Sing!
- Jud Fry: [to Laurey] Look at me. I'm a hired hand. I got dirt on my hands. Pig slop. I ain't fit to touch you, am I - you're better. Oh, you're so much better, Miss Laurey Williams! Well we'll see how much better you are, and then you won't be so free and easy and hifalutin' with your airs! You such a FINE lady!
- Ado Annie: Sometimes there seems like times that men ain't got no need for women.
- Girl: There's sometimes women ain't got no need for men.
- Ado Annie: Yeah, but who wants to be dead?
- Will: Now that I got that fifty dollars, you name the date.
- Ado Annie: August 15th.
- Will: Why August 15th?
- Ado Annie: Because that was the first day I'se kissed!
- Will: Oh was it? I didn't remember that!
- Ado Annie: You wasn't there.
- Laurey: Curly! You're sittin' on the stove!
- Curly: Yeouch!
- [Jumps up, feels the stove]
- Curly: Cold as a hunk of ice.
- Laurey: Wish it would've burned a hole in your pants.
- Ali: It's a wonderful thing to be married. I got a brother in Persia got six wives.
- Ado Annie: Six wives all at once?
- Will: Why, sure. That's the way they do in them countries.
- Ali: Not always; I got a brother in Persia only got one wife. He's a bachelor.
- Ado Annie: He called me his Persian kitten!
- Carnes: What'd you call her that for?
- Ali: Ohh - I don't remember...
- Ado Annie: I do! He said I's like a Persian kitten cause they is the cats with the soft round tails!
- Ali: You'd hardly ever see your daughter no more!
- Carnes: That'd be all right. Just take care of her, son.
- Will: I don't know what to make of you! You're too purty to be a skunk! Too thin to be a snake! Too little to be a man, and too big to be a mouse! I reckon you're a rat!
- Ali: That's logical.
- Aunt Eller Murphy: [singing] I'd like to say a word for the cowboys.
- Carnes: Oh, you would, would you?
- Aunt Eller Murphy: [singing] The road he treads is difficult and stony. He rides for days on end with just a pony for a friend...
- Ado Annie: I sure am feelin' sorry for the pony!
- Now a motion picture as big as all outdoors! (first run Todd-AO version)
- Complete...Intact...with Every Scene...Every Song!
- Now everyone can see it-at popular prices!
- Complete - intact - with every scene - every song - of the motion picture that ran a year on Broadway at $3.50!
- It's Here!
- The best loved musical of our time!
- Gordon MacRae - Curly McLain
- Gloria Grahame - Ado Annie Carnes
- Gene Nelson - Will Parker
- Charlotte Greenwood - Aunt Eller Murphy
- Shirley Jones - Laurey Williams
- Eddie Albert - Ali Hakim
- James Whitmore - Andrew Carnes
- Rod Steiger - Jud Fry
- Barbara Lawrence - Gertie Cummings
- Jay C. Flippen - Ike Skidmore
- Roy Barcroft - Marshal Cord Elam