(Redirected from Pathanjali)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Yoga Sutras of Patañjali
- Where the heart is full of kindness which seeks no injury to another, either in act or thought or wish, this full love creates an atmosphere of harmony, whose benign power touches with healing all who come within its influence. Peace in the heart radiates peace to other hearts, even more surely than contention breeds contention.
- Translation by: Charles Johnston
- Restraining the thought-streams natural to the mind, ... the seer dwells in his own nature. Otherwise he is of the same form as the thought-streams.
- § 1.2
- Desirelessness towards the seen and the unseen gives the consciousness of mastery.
- § 1.15
- By cultivating friendliness towards happiness and compassion towards misery, gladness towards virtue and indifference towards vice, the mind becomes pure.
- § 1.33
- Egoism is the identification of the power that knows with the instruments of knowing.
- § 2.6
- Liberation of the seer is the result of the dissassociation of the seer and the seen.
- § 2.25
- Supreme happiness is gained via contentment.
- § 2.42
- By study comes communion with the Lord in the Form most admired.
- § 2.44
- Realization is experienced by making the Lord the motive of all actions.
- § 2.45
- When the mind maintains awareness, yet does not mingle with the senses, nor the senses with sense impressions, then self-awareness blossoms.
- § 2.54
- For one who sees the distinction, there is no further confusing of the mind with the self.
- § 4.25
- In deep meditation the flow of concentration is continuous like the flow of oil.
- Peace can be reached through meditation on the knowledge which dreams give. Peace can also be reached through concentration upon that which is dearest to the heart.
- Progress in meditation comes swiftly for those who try their hardest.
- When a gifted team dedicates itself to unselfish trust and combines instinct with boldness and effort, it is ready to climb.
- When a man becomes steadfast in his abstention from harming others, then all living creatures will cease to feel enmity in his presence
- When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and your discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be.
Wikibooks has a book on the topic of
- Internet Archive of the Yoga Sutras of Patañjali, featuring different interpretations (70+) translated into 34 different languages
- PATANJALI YOGA
- Patanjali's Yoga Sutras Translation and commentary by Yoga Expert T K V Desikachar
- English translation of the Yoga Sutras by T.K.V.Desikachar, with links to 6 additional English translations and word-by-word definitions of included source text
- Patanjali's Yoga Sutra Chanting by Kausthub Desikachar
- Another English translation of the Yoga Sutras
- Cultivating Loneliness: The Ethical Fragrance of Yoga - A Commentary on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, by Sri Nitin Kumar.
- Exposition of Patañjali's Yama and Niyama
- Essays on the Yoga Sutras by Raghavan Iyer, plus much more
- Works by Patañjali at Project Gutenberg