Precious is a 2009 American film about Claireece Precious Jones, an African-American teenager who survives physical, emotional and sexual abuse to find a better life in an alternative school. It was directed by Lee Daniels, and is based upon the novel Push by Sapphire.
Claireece Precious Jones
- My name is Claireece Precious Jones. I wish I had a light-skinned boyfriend with real nice hair. And I wanna be on the cover of a magazine. But first I wanna be in one of them BET videos. Momma said I can't dance. Plus, she said who wants to see my big ass dancing, anyhow?
- There's always something wrong with these tests. These tests paint a picture of me with no brain. These tests paint a picture of me and my mother, my whole family as less than dumb. Just ugly black grease, need to be wiped away, find a job for.
- I'm gonna break through or somebody gonna break through to me.
- The other day, I cried. But you know what? Fuck that day. That's why God, or whoever, makes other days.
- [to her mother] You know, to this day, I never even knew who you was, not even after all them things you did. Maybe I was too stupid. Maybe I just didn't want to. You ain't gonna see me no more.
- See, I think right now you think you becomin' a grown woman. 'Cause that shit you pulled in the kitchen... I shoulda fucked you up. But I let you walk away. And I let you get yourself together. But, bitch, I'mma let you know, don't you ever pull that shit again. That'll be your last mothafuckin' day stayin here. I promise you that. You gon' send a white bitch to my mothafuckin' buzzer? Talkin' 'bout some higher education? You're a dummy, bitch! You will never know shit! Don't nobody want you, don't nobody need you! You done fucked around and fucked my mothafuckin' man? And had two mothafuckin' children? And one of 'ems a goddamn animal, runnin' 'round lookin' crazy as a mothafucka? Bitch, you know what? See, I think you... I think you tryin' me. I think you tryin' to fuck with me. You fuckin' with my money... and you gon' stand up there and look at me like you a mothafuckin' woman? I'mma show you what real women do, bitch. See, you don't know what real mothafuckin' women do. Real mothafuckin' women sacrafice! I shoulda aborted your mothafuckin' ass! 'Cause you ain't shit! I knew it when the doctor put you in my goddamn hand you wasn't a goddamn thing! You wear that smirk on your face, bitch?
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: We should have a parent-teacher conference with you, me and your mother.
- Claireece Precious Jones: My mother's busy.
- Mrs. Lichtenstein: Alright. How about if I come to your house?
- Claireece Precious Jones: If I were you, I wouldn't.
- Mrs. Weiss: Talk to me about the little you do know about your father. It is important, whether you know it or not.
- Claireece Precious Jones: He give me his baby and my one before it, but I don't never see him...
- Mrs. Weiss: Wait, what did you say he gave you?
- Claireece Precious Jones: Nothing.
- Mrs. Weiss: Wait, Claireece, you just said your father gave you something...
- Claireece Precious Jones: Nothing.
- Mrs. Weiss: No, I HEARD you just say...
- Claireece Precious Jones: You didn't hear shit.
- Mrs. Weiss: I heard you just say your father...
- Claireece Precious Jones: You didn't hear shit like it!
- Mrs. Weiss: I don't care, honey! I need to know this!
- Clareece Precious Jones: [Overlapping] I didn't say nothing like it! Let's move on!
- Mrs. Weiss: I need this to help you...
- Claireece Precious Jones: Bitch, can we change the subject?
- Mrs. Weiss: [tossing her file aside] Okay. Well, I'll see you next time then. Or maybe you'll see someone else. But you're going to have to talk to someone if you want your check, sweetie.
- [Long pause]
- Claireece Precious Jones: I see vampires too...
- Tootsie: You got a nasty-ass mouth.
- Joann: You got a nasty-ass hat.
- Claireece Precious Jones: [crying] Nobody loves me!
- Ms. Rain: People do love you, Precious.
- Claireece Precious Jones: Please don't lie to me, Ms. Rain! Love ain't done nothing for me... but beat me... rape me... call me an animal! Make me feel worthless! Make me sick!
- Ms. Rain: [tearing up] That wasn't love, Precious. Your baby loves you. I love you!
- Claireece Precious Jones: You don't even like me.
- Mrs. Weiss: Have we not been in this room together for like, a year discussing your life?
- Claireece Precious Jones: Does that mean we like each other because we discussing my life?
- Mrs. Weiss: [smiling] Well, I can't speak for you. I can only speak for me, and I like you. I do.
- Mary: We would, we would, uh, start doin' it, and he reached over... and he touched my baby. And I asked him, and I said "Carl, what are you doing"? And he told me to shut, to shut my fat ass up, and it was good for her.
- Mrs. Weiss: And what did you do then?
- Mary: I shut my fat ass up. And I don't want you to sit there and judge me, Miss Weiss.
- Mrs. Weiss: [angrily] You shut up and you let him abuse your daughter.
- Mary: I did not want him to abuse my daughter. I did not want him to hurt her.
- Mrs. Weiss: But you ALLOWED him to hurt her!
- Mary: I did not want him to do nothin' to her. I wanted him to make love to me. That was my man. That was my fuckin' man. That was my man, and he wanted my daughter. And that's why I hated her. Because my man who was supposed to be loving me, who was supposed to be making love to me was fucking my baby. And she made him leave. She made him go away.
- Mrs. Weiss: So whose fault was that?
- Mary: It's this bitch's fault, because she let my man have her. And she didn't say nothin', she didn't scream, she didn't do nothin'. So, those things that she told you I did to her? Who... who... who else was going to love me? Hmmm? Since you got your degree, and you know every fuckin' thing, who was gonna love me? Who... who... was gonna make me feel good? Who was gonna touch me, and make me feel good late at night? And she made him go away. So... when you sit there, and you writin' them fuckin' notes on your pad about who you think I am, and why I did it and all of that... because I didn't have a man.
- Gabourney Sidibe - Claireece Precious Jones
- Mo'Nique - Mary Jones
- Paula Patton - Ms. Rain
- Mariah Carey - Mrs. Weiss
- Lenny Kravitz - Nurse John