Stanisław Jerzy Lec
(Redirected from Stanislaw Jerzy Lec)
- He who had dug his own grave
at the gravedigger's work,
but not pedantically:
for this one
digs a grave
not for himself.
- "He who had dug his own grave", commemorating his killing of an SS guard who had been assigned to watch as he dug his own grave, as quoted in "10 Amazing Ways People Survived The Holocaust" by Alan Boyle at Listverse (9 November 2014)
Unkempt Thoughts (1957)
- Myśli nieuczesane (1957) as translated by Jacek Galazka (1962)
- Wszystko jest w rękach człowieka. Dlatego należy je często myć.
- Nawet w jego milczeniu były błędy językowe.
- Pogrożę mu tylko palcem – rzekł, kładąc go na cynglu.
- "I will just wag my finger at him", he said, putting it on the trigger.
- Czy jeżeli ludożerca je widelcem i nożem to postęp?
- The window on the world can be covered by a newspaper.
- You will always find some Eskimos ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.
- Hay smells different to lovers and horses.
- Tłum krzyczy jednymi wielkimi ustami, ale je tysiącem małych.
- The mob shouts with one big mouth and eats with a thousand little ones.
- Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don't bite everybody.
- Burząc pomniki, oszczędzajcie cokoły. Zawsze mogą się przydać.
- When smashing monuments, save the pedestals. They always come in handy.
- Optimists and pessimists differ only on the date of the end of the world.
- Morality is either a social contract or you have to pay cash.
- Gdy z radości podskoczysz do góry, uważaj, by ci ktoś ziemi spod nóg nie usunął. 
- When everything has to be right, something isn't.
- Open Sesame—I want to get out.
More Unkempt Thoughts (1964)
- Myśli nieuczesane nowe (1964) as translated by Jacek Galazka (1969)
- The Order of the Garter usually goes to people who already have full wardrobes.
- It is the high priests that make demands — not the gods they serve.
- No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.