Surf's Up (2007) is an American computer-animated mockumentary film produced by Sony Pictures Animation, released on June 7, 2007 by Columbia Pictures. It is a parody of surfing documentaries, such as The Endless Summer and Riding Giants.
- Interviewer: Any other skills besides surfing?
- Like what, like singing and dancing? [laughs] No, not me man, I just surf.
- Singing and dancing refers to Happy Feet, another animated feature film with penguins.
- I hope the cameras are rolling cause you're gonna want to watch this over and over and over again.
- Cody being interviewed about his fathers death - Cody " I'm not the only kid on this island that their dads have been... eaten."
- Interviewer "Still, it must have been traumatic." Cody "No not for me man, not for me."
- "Cody's this, Cody's that" - Cody's me bro. Let me be me. When's that gonna start?
- I can't imagine a better day.
- Whoa! Start the whale.
- Can't this blubber ball go any faster? Step on it, fish stick!
- Could somebody help the chicken?
- They see their goal. They just go for it! They're not in it for the money or the glory. They're in it for the joy of it and the rapture and the slow-motion instant replay.
- Ah, that didn't take too long. I feel lightheaded.
- Somebody help the chicken!
- Ah, crap!
- Cody's around here somewhere, I can feel it in my nuggets!
- Squidito on stickito?
- [repeated line] Radical.
- That cloud looks like a kitten!
- Bring me some more clams!
- No joy, man. No joy. Fail.
Tank "the Shedder" Evans
- A role model? No. But I consider myself somebody that everyone should look up to. Kids should try to pretend that they're Tank. I mean, they should try. [chuckles] Good luck, kids!
- Hey, Mikey, why don't you head on over to the snack bar and get yourself a big bowl of shut up!
- I PROMOTE HAPPINESS!!! CAN YOU SEE THE HAPPINESS EMANATING FROM ME?!? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!
Ivan (Fire Urchin)
- Stepped on me, stepped on me? Are you kidding? This guy was dancing on me. I mean just look at this. Broken, broken, gone, gone, broken, broken, broken…
Katey, Smudge, and Arnold
- A winner is someone who doesn't knock me off my surf board, and break it when I'm trying to get some big waves. Specially Tank he is definitely not a winner.
- He's a dirty trashcan full of poop.
- Overvoice: Sea urchin in the foot, that sounds pretty nasty. How do you cure something like that?
- Katey: You pee on it.
- Overvoice: That's disgusting.
- Katey: I knowww.
About Surf's Up
- The project at Sony, Surf’s Up, was looking for two directors. Chris Jenkins pitched us the idea – Ash and myself, although it was separately.
I fell in love with the idea. I thought doing a documentary – or ‘mockumentary,’ whatever, but it really is kind of an animated documentary – I thought was really unique and fun. I was a big fan of a lot of the reality shows on TV.
- It just really spoke to me. Doing an animated movie like that – getting into the heads of an animated character, being able to do these talking head interviews along with all the action that we did – that sort of excited me the most. I also thought the penguins were as cute as can be. Then, surfing – I always wanted to surf. I’m trying to learn right now.
- The technical end of it, I wasn’t too worried about, because I know the guys at Imageworks can do almost anything. They’re geniuses over there. We did say to them, ‘If we can’t do the water well, then we can’t do this movie.’ We were going to have so many waves and so much water. It just has to look great. Of course, they came up to the challenge. They did way better than I could have even dreamed.
- Chris Buck "Directors Buck and Brannon on Surf’s Up", by Josh Armstrong, Animated Views, June 11, 2007.