The Age of Innocence (film)
- Directed by Martin Scorsese. Written by Martin Scorsese and Jay Cocks. Based on the novel by Edith Wharton.
- Newland, you couldn't be happy if it meant being cruel. If we act any other way, I'll be making you act against what I love in you most. And I can't go back to that way of thinking. Don't you see! I can't love you unless I give you up.
- How can we be happy behind the backs of people who trust us?
- Ellen Olenska: I think we should look at reality, not dreams.
- Newland Archer: I just want us to be together!
- Ellen Olenska: I can't be your wife, Newland! Is it your idea that I should live with you as a mistress?
- Newland Archer: I want... Somehow, I want to get away with you... and... and find a world where words like that don't exist!
- Ellen Olenska: I knew you'd come.
- Newland Archer: That shows you wanted me to.
- Newland Archer: Honest? Isn't that why you admire Julius Beauford? He was more honest than the rest of us, wasn't he, we've got no character, no color, no variety. I wonder why you just don't go back to Europe.
- Ellen Olenska: I believe that's because of you.
- Newland Archer: You gave me my first glimpse of a real life. Then you asked me to go on with the false one. No one can endure it.
- Ellen Olenska: I'm enduring it.
- Ellen Olenska: Is New York such a labyrinth? I thought it was all straight up and down like Fifth Avenue. All the cross streets numbered and big honest labels on everything.
- Newland Archer: Everything is labeled, but everybody is not.
- Ellen Olenska: Then I must count on you for warnings too.
- Ellen Olenska: Is fashion such a serious consideration?
- Newland Archer: Among those who have nothing more serious to consider.
- Newland Archer: We should travel everywhere.
- Louisa van der Luyden: But not Naples. Doctor Bencomb says there is fever there.
|Daniel Day-Lewis||Newland Archer|
|Michelle Pfeiffer||Countess Ellen Olenska|
|Winona Ryder||May Welland|
|Joanne Woodward||Narrator (voice)|
|Alexis Smith||Louisa van der Luyden|
|Geraldine Chaplin||Mrs. Welland|
|Mary Beth Hurt||Regina Beauford|
|Alec McGowan||Sillerton Jackson|
|Richard E. Grant||Larry Lefferts|
|Miriam Margolyes||Mrs. Mingott|
|Robert Sean Leonard||Ted Archer|
|Sian Phillips||Mrs. Archer|
|Michael Gough||Henry van der Luyden|
|Stuart Wilson||Julius Beauford|