The Thing (1982 film)
The Thing, also known as John Carpenter's The Thing, is a 1982 science fiction horror film about an Antarctic science base which is infiltrated by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills. Ostensibly a remake of the 1951 Christian Nyby film The Thing From Another World, Carpenter’s film is more faithful to the original novella “Who Goes There?” by John W. Campbell
- Directed by John Carpenter. Written by Bill Lancaster, based on the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr..
- “One other thing…I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over. Windows founds some shredded long johns, but the name-tag was missing. They can be anybody’s. Nobody…nobody trusts anybody now.” (Part of the tape recorded by R.J. MacReady)
- I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won.
- Watching Norris in there gave me the idea that maybe every part of you bastards is a whole. Every piece of you is self-sufficient, an animal unto itself. When a man bleeds, it's just tissue. But blood from one of you Things won't obey. It's a newly formed individual with a built-in desire to protect its own life. When attacked, your blood will try and survive — and crawl away from a hot needle, say.
- [on finding a partially-assembled spaceship beneath the tool shed] Blair's been busy out here all by himself.
- [the Thing roars at MacReady] YEAH, FUCK YOU TOO!!! [throws stick of dynamite]
- [Destroying the radio with a fire ax] Nobody gets in or out of here! NOBODY! You guys think I'm crazy?! Well, that's fine! Most of you don't know what's going on around here, but I'm damn well sure some of you do! You think that thing wanted to be an animal?! No dog's gonna make it a thousand miles to the coast! You don't understand! That thing wanted to be US! A cell gets out, and it'll imitate everything on the face of the Earth! AND NOTHING CAN STOP IT!
- [Calmly eating beans in the tool shed with a forgotten noose strung from the ceiling] I don't want to stay out here anymore. I want to come back inside.
- Clark: I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
- Childs: If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me?
- Garry: [after passing the blood test] I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
- Palmer: [Norris' head sprouts legs and tries to walk away] You gotta be fucking kidding!
- MacReady: All right, we gotta find him. Nauls, why don’t you come with me and we'll go outside. Palmer, you and Windows check the inside.
- Palmer: I ain't going with Windows. I ain't going with him, I'll go with Childs--
- Windows: Hey, FUCK YOU, Palmer!
- Palmer: I ain't going with you!
- Childs: Who says I want you going with me?!
- MacReady: ALL RIGHT, CUT THE BULLSHIT! Windows, you come with us. Norris, you stay here. Any of them move, you fry them. You hear anything, anything at all, you cut loose on the sirens. We all meet here in 20 minutes regardless. And everybody watch who you're with, real close.
- Palmer: This is bullshit, Mac.
- MacReady: Finish it, Palmer.
- Palmer: They're dead, Mac.
- Childs: The explosions set the temperatures up all over the camp. But it won't last long though.
- MacReady: When these fires go out, neither will we.
- Childs: How will we make it?
- MacReady: Maybe we shouldn't.
- Childs: If you're worried about me...
- MacReady: If we've got any surprises for each other, I don't think either one of us is in much shape to do anything about it.
- Childs: Well... what do we do?
- MacReady: [slumping back] Why don't we just wait here a little while? See what happens.
- [from TV spot] Its origin: alien. Location: Antarctica. Age: unknown. Intent: survival. Destination: MAN.
- Man is the warmest place to hide.
- Look closely at your neighbors. Don't trust anybody.
- The ultimate in alien terror.
- [from theatrical trailer] Twelve men have just discovered something. For 100,000 years, it was buried in the snow and ice. Now it has found a place to live. Inside. Where no one can see it. Or hear it. Or feel it.
About The Thing (1982 film)
- People hated it. It was HATED. Especially by the horror fans. I thought that was the best film I’d made but everybody dumped on it
- Kurt Russell - MacReady
- Wilford Brimley - Blair
- Keith David - Childs
- T.K. Carter - Nauls
- Thomas Waites - Windows
- David Clennon - Palmer
- Richard Dysart - Dr. Copper
- Charles Hallahan - Norris
- Peter Maloney - Bennings
- Richard Masur - Clark
- Donald Moffat - Garry
- Joel Polis - Fuchs