The Thing (1982 film)
The Thing, also known as John Carpenter's The Thing, is a 1982 science fiction horror film about an Antarctic science base which is infiltrated by a shape-shifting alien that assumes the appearance of the people that it kills. Ostensibly a remake of the 1951 Christian Nyby film The Thing From Another World, Carpenter’s film is more faithful to the original novella “Who Goes There?” by John W. Campbell
- Directed by John Carpenter. Written by Bill Lancaster, based on the novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell Jr..
- [talking into tape recorder] I'm gonna hide this tape when I'm finished. If none of us make it, at least there'll be some kind of record. The storm's been hitting us hard now for 48 hours. We still have nothing to go on. [turns off tape recorder and takes a drink of whisky. He looks at the torn long johns and turns it back on] One other thing: I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over. Windows found some shredded long johns, but the nametag was missing. They could be anybody's. Nobody... nobody trusts anybody now, and we're all very tired. Nothing else I can do, just wait... R.J. MacReady, helicopter pilot, US outpost number 31. [turns off recorder]
- I know I'm human. And if you were all these things, then you'd just attack me right now, so some of you are still human. This thing doesn't want to show itself, it wants to hide inside an imitation. It'll fight if it has to, but it's vulnerable out in the open. If it takes us over, then it has no more enemies, nobody left to kill it. And then it's won.
- We're gonna draw a little bit of everybody's blood... 'cause we're gonna find out who's The Thing. Watching Norris in there gave me the idea that maybe every part of you bastards is a whole. Every piece of you is self-sufficient, an animal unto itself. When a man bleeds, it's just tissue. But blood from one of you Things won't obey. It's a newly formed individual with a built-in desire to protect its own life. When attacked, your blood will try and survive — and crawl away from a hot needle, say.
- [on finding a partially-assembled spaceship beneath the tool shed] Blair's been busy out here all by himself.
- [the Thing roars at MacReady] YEAH, FUCK YOU TOO!!! [throws stick of dynamite]
- Clark: I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
- Garry: [after passing the blood test] I know you gentlemen have been through a lot. But when you find the time... I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
- MacReady: I don't know. Thousands of years ago it crashes, and this thing... gets thrown out, or crawls out, and it ends up freezing in the ice.
- Childs: I just cannot believe any of this voodoo bullshit.
- Palmer: Childs, happens all the time, man. They're falling out of the skies like flies. Government knows all about it, right, Mac?
- Childs: You believe any of this voodoo bullshit, Blair?
- Palmer: Childs, Childs... Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know.
- Garry: So, come on now, MacReady, Norwegians get ahold of this... and they dig it up out of the ice.
- MacReady: Yes, Garry, they dig it up, they cart it back, it gets thawed out, wakes up - probably not the best of moods - I don't know, I wasn't there!
- Nauls: [skates in with ripped long johns] Which one of you disrespectful men been tossing his dirty drawers in the kitchen trash can, huh? From now, I want my kitchen clean, all right? Germ free!
- Childs: So how's this motherfucker wake up after thousands of years in the ice?
- Bennings: And how can it look like a dog?
- MacReady: I don't know how. 'Cause it's different than us, see? 'Cause it's from outer space. What do you want from me? Ask him! [motions to Blair]
- Childs: You buy any of this Blair?
- Blair: [showing the remains of the dog-thing to the entire camp] You see, what we're talkin' about here is an organism that imitates other life-forms, and it imitates 'em perfectly. When this thing attacked our dogs it tried to digest them... absorb them, and in the process shape its own cells to imitate them. This for instance. That's not dog. It's imitation. We got to it before it had time to finish.
- Norris: Finish what?
- Blair: Finish imitating these dogs.
- MacReady: Somebody in this camp ain't what he appears to be. Right now that may be one or two of us. By Spring, it could be all of us.
- Childs: So, how do we know who's human? If I was an imitation, a perfect imitation, how would you know if it was really me?
- MacReady: All right, we gotta find him. Nauls, why don’t you come with me and we'll go outside. Palmer, you and Windows check the inside.
- Palmer: I ain't going with Windows. I ain't going with him, I'll go with Childs--
- Windows: Hey, FUCK YOU, Palmer!
- Palmer: I ain't going with you!
- Childs: Who says I want you going with me?!
- MacReady: ALL RIGHT, CUT THE BULLSHIT! Windows, you come with us. Norris, you stay here. Any of them move, you fry them. You hear anything, anything at all, you cut loose on the sirens. We all meet here in 20 minutes regardless. And everybody watch who you're with, real close.
- MacReady: How you doin', old boy?
- Blair: I don't know who to trust.
- MacReady: I know what you mean, Blair. Trust's a tough thing to come by these days. Tell you what - why don't you just trust in the Lord?
- Blair: [throwing a fit in the radio room] You guys think I'M crazy! Well, that's fine! Most of ya don't know what's goin' on around here, but I'm damn well sure SOME of you do!
- MacReady: Christ!
- Childs: He got most of the chopper and the tractor, and he's killed the rest of the dogs.
- MacReady: [as Garry advances with his gun] Garry, wait a minute, wait a minute. Now, Childs, go around to the map room door. Talk to him.
- Childs: Yeah.
- [Childs exits]
- MacReady: Norris, get a table from the lab.
- Blair: [still smashing up the radio room with an axe while yelling] D'ya think that thing wanted to be an animal?! No dogs make it a thousand miles through the cold! No, you don't understand! That thing wanted to be US! If a cell gets out, it could imitate everything on the FACE OF THE EARTH! AND NOTHING CAN STOP IT!
- Childs: [appearing in the map room doorway] Okay, Blair. Come on, man, you don't wanna hurt anybody.
- [Blair whips a pistol out and shoots at Childs but misses]
- Blair: I'LL KILL YOU!
- MacReady: Blair... he got back inside and blew the generator. In six hours, it'll be 100 below in here!
- Garry: Well, that's suicide!
- MacReady: Not for that Thing. It wants to freeze now. It knows it's got no way out of here. It just wants to go to sleep in the cold until the rescue team finds it.
- Garry: What can we do? What can we do?
- MacReady: Whether we make it or not, we can't let that Thing freeze again. Maybe we'll just warm things up a little around here. We're not gettin' outta here alive. But neither is that Thing.
- Childs: The explosions set the temperatures up all over the camp. But it won't last long though.
- MacReady: When these fires go out, neither will we.
- Childs: How will we make it?
- MacReady: Maybe we shouldn't.
- Childs: If you're worried about me...
- MacReady: If we've got any surprises for each other, I don't think either one of us is in much shape to do anything about it.
- Childs: Well... what do we do?
- MacReady: [slumping back] Why don't we just wait here a little while? See what happens.
- [from teaser trailer] Some say the world will end by fire. Others say it will end by ice. Now, somewhere in the Antarctic, the question is being settled forever.
- [from theatrical trailer] Twelve men have just discovered something. For 100,000 years, it was buried in the snow and ice. Now it has found a place to live. Inside. Where no one can see it. Or hear it. Or feel it.
- [from TV spot] Its origin: alien. Location: Antarctica. Age: unknown. Intent: survival. Destination: MAN.
- Man is the warmest place to hide.
- Look closely at your neighbors. Don't trust anybody.
- The ultimate in alien terror.
About The Thing (1982 film)
- People hated it. It was HATED. Especially by the horror fans. I thought that was the best film I’d made but everybody dumped on it
- Kurt Russell - MacReady
- Wilford Brimley - Blair
- Keith David - Childs
- T.K. Carter - Nauls
- Thomas Waites - Windows
- David Clennon - Palmer
- Richard Dysart - Dr. Copper
- Charles Hallahan - Norris
- Peter Maloney - Bennings
- Richard Masur - Clark
- Donald Moffat - Garry
- Joel Polis - Fuchs