Thomas and Friends/Season 1
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends Season 1
Thomas and Gordon (UK) / Thomas Gets Tricked (US)
- Narrator: Thomas is a tank engine who lives at the big station on the Island of Sodor. He's a cheeky little engine with six small wheels, a short stumpy funnel, a short stumpy boiler, and a short stumpy dome.
- Thomas: [taken through Gordon's fast ride] Beep! Beep! Stop! Stop!
- Gordon: Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!
- Coaches: You can't get away! You can't get away!
Edward and Gordon (UK) / Edward Helps Out (US)
- Trucks: [after Edward bumps them] OOH! Whatever is happening?!
- [Gordon refuses to go up the hill]
- Driver: You're not trying.
- Gordon: I can't do it! The noisy trucks hold an engine back so!
- Narrator: Edward's driver came up.
- Edward's Driver: We've come to push.
- Gordon: No use at all!
- Edward's Driver: You wait and see.
The Sad Story of Henry (UK) / Come Out, Henry! (US)
- Henry: [hides in a tunnel] The rain will spoil my lovely green paint and red stripes.
- Narrator: Everyone pulled except the Fat Controller, because...
- The Fat Controller: Ahem! My doctor has forbidden me to pull.
- Narrator: But still, Henry stayed in the tunnel. Then they tried pushing from the other end. The Fat Controller said...
- The Fat Controller: 1, 2, 3, PUSH!!
- Narrator: But he didn't help.
- The Fat Controller: My doctor has forbidden me to push.
Edward, Gordon and Henry (UK) / Henry to the Rescue (US)
- Gordon: I'm going to "boop-boop!" at Henry!
- [he nears the tunnel, until his safety valve bursts, causing him to slow down, then stop]
- Gordon: What has happened to me?! I feel so weak!
- Driver: You burst your safety valve. You can't pull the train anymore!
- Gordon: Oh, dear! We were going so nicely, too! And look! There's Henry laughing at me!
- [Gordon notices Edward approaching the coaches]
- Gordon: Hmph! That's no use. Edward can't push the train!
- [Edward pushes as hard as possible, but the coaches are too heavy]
- Gordon: I told you so! Why not let Henry try?
- The Fat Controller: Yes! I will!
Thomas' Train (UK) / A Big Day for Thomas (US)
- Thomas: I spend my time pulling coaches about, ready for you to take out on journeys!
- Narrator: The other engines laughed.
- Thomas: Why can't I pull passenger trains, too?!
- Henry, Edward, and Gordon: You're too impatient. You'd be sure to leave something behind.
- Thomas: Rubbish! I'll show you!
- Signalman: Hello, Thomas. What are you doing here?
- Thomas: I'm pulling a train. Can't you see?
- Signalman: Where are your coaches, then?
- [Thomas looks back in shock]
- Thomas: Why, bless me! If we haven't left them behind!
- Signalman: Yes. You'd better go back quickly and fetch them.
Thomas and the Trucks (UK) / Trouble for Thomas (US)
- Thomas: I'm tired of pushing coaches. I want to see the world!
- The Fat Controller: What are you doing here, Thomas?
- Thomas: I brought Edward's trucks.
- The Fat Controller: Why did you come so fast?
- Thomas: I didn't mean to. I was pushed!
- The Fat Controller: You've got a lot to learn about trucks, Thomas. After pushing them about here for a few weeks, you'll know almost as much about them as Edward. Then you'll be a really useful engine.
Thomas and the Breakdown Train (UK) / Thomas Saves the Day (US)
- The Fat Controller: Hello! Remember, don't be impatient, Thomas. You can never be as strong and fast as Gordon, but you can be a really useful engine. Don't let the silly trucks tease you.
- Thomas: [pushes the breakdown train to the scene of James' accident] Bother those trucks and their tricks! I hope poor James isn't hurt.
James and the Coaches (UK) / James Learns a Lesson (US)
- The Fat Controller: If you can't behave, I shall take away your red coat, and have you painted blue.
- Narrator: James didn't like that at all.
- [after James stops all of a sudden]
- James: What's the matter?
- Driver: The brakes are on. Leak in the pipe, most likely. You've banged the coaches enough to make a leak in anything!
- [he and the guard inspect the damage]
- Guard: How shall we mend it?
- Driver: We'll do it with newspaper and a leather bootlace.
- Guard: But where is the bootlace coming from?
- Driver: Ask the passengers!
- [the guard turns to the passengers]
- Guard: [to a smartly-dressed passenger] You have a leather bootlace there. Please give it to me.
- Passenger: I won't!
- Guard: Then I'm afraid the train will just stop where it is.
Troublesome Trucks (UK) / Foolish Freight Cars (US)
- The Fat Controller: I see you are sorry, James. I hope now that you will be a better engine. You have given me a lot of trouble. People are laughing at my railway, and I don't like that at all.
- James: I'm very sorry, Sir. I will try hard to behave.
- The Fat Controller: That's a good engine! I want you to pull some trucks for me.
- The Fat Controller: I was in Edward's train, and I saw everything. You've made the most troublesome trucks on the line behave. After that performance, you deserve to keep your red coat!
James and the Express (UK) / A Proud Day for James (US)
- Gordon: Wake up, James! It's time for the express! What are you doing? Odd jobs? Ah, well. We all have to begin somewhere. Don't we? Run along and get my coaches. Don't be late!
- [Gordon tries to sneak into Knapford Station undetected]
- James: Hello, Gordon. Is it tomorrow?
- [Gordon only lets of a feeble puff of steam]
- James: Did you lose your way, Gordon?
- Gordon: No. It was lost for me. I was switched off the main line onto the loop. I had to go all around and back again!
- James: Perhaps it was instinct!
- [the angry passengers shout at the ticket window]
- Passengers: We want our money back!
- [the Fat Controller climbs onto a cart and blows the guard's whistle loud enough to attract the passengers' attention]
Thomas and the Guard (UK) / Thomas and the Conductor (US)
- [Henry arrives at the station late]
- Thomas: Where have you been, lazybones?!
- Henry: Oh, dear. My system is out of order. No one understands my case. You don't know what I suffer!
- Thomas: Rubbish! You're too slow! You need exercise.
- Thomas: Beep! Beep! Beep! Where is the guard?!
- Annie and Clarabel: We've left him behind!
Thomas Goes Fishing
- Thomas: I want to fish!
- James: Engines don't go fishing!
- Thomas: Silly stick-in-the-muds!
- [the Fat Controller looks into Thomas' tank]
- The Fat Controller: Inspector, can you see... fish?! Gracious, goodness me! How did the fish get there, Driver?!
- Driver: We must've fished them from the river with our bucket.
- The Fat Controller: Well, Thomas, so you and your Driver have been fishing. But fish don't suit you. We must get them out!
- [everyone takes turns at fishing in Thomas' tank; after all fish have been caught, they have a picnic supper of fish and chips]
- The Fat Controller: [finishes meal] MMM! That was good! But fish don't suit you, Thomas, so you mustn't do it again.
- Thomas: No, Sir, I won't. Engines don't go fishing. It's too uncomfortable!
Thomas, Terence and the Snow (UK) / Terence the Tractor (US)
- Terence: Hello! I'm Terence. I'm plowing.
- Thomas: I'm Thomas. I'm pulling a train. What ugly wheels you've got!
- Terence: They're not ugly. They're caterpillars! I can go anywhere. I don't need rails.
- Thomas: I don't want to go anywhere. I like my rails. Thank you.
- Thomas: [stuck in the snow] Oh, my wheels and coupling rods! I shall have to stop here till I'm frozen! What a silly engine I am!
Thomas and Bertie (UK) / Thomas and Bertie's Great Race (US)
- Thomas: Hello! Who are you?
- Bertie: I'm Bertie. Who are you?
- Thomas: I'm Thomas. I run this Branch Line.
- Bertie: So you're Thomas. Ah! I remember now! You got stuck in the snow. I took your passengers, and Terence the Tractor pulled you out. I've come to help you with your passengers today.
- Thomas: Help me?! I can go faster than you!
- Bertie: You can't.
- Thomas: I can!
- Bertie: I'll race you!
- Stationmaster: Are you ready?! GO!
- [after the race]
- Bertie: Well done, Thomas! That was fun! But to beat you over that hill, I should have to grow wings and be an airplane.
Tenders and Turntables
- Gordon: You don't understand, little Thomas. We tender engines have a position to keep up. It doesn't matter where you go, but we are important. And for the Fat Controller to make us do shunting, fetch coaches, and go on some of those dirty sidings, it's... It's... Well, it's not the proper thing!
- Henry: It's shameful to treat tender engines like this, Gordon has to go backwards and people think he's a tank engine, James spins around like a top and everyone laughs at us! And to add to that, the Fat Controller makes us all shunt in dirty sidings!
- Gordon: UGH! Listen!
- Narrator: He whispered something to the others.
- Gordon: We'll do it tomorrow. The Fat Controller will look silly.
- Narrator: The engines had decided to go on strike.
Trouble in the Shed
- The Fat Controller: Come along, Henry. It's time your train was ready.
- Gordon: Henry's not going! We won't shunt like common tank engines. That was Thomas' job! We are important tender engines! You fetch our coaches, and we will pull them. Tender engines don't shunt!
- The Fat Controller: We'll see about that. No engine on my railway is too important for small jobs.
- [he gets into his car and drives off to get Edward]
- The Fat Controller: The yard has never been the same since Thomas left to run his branch line.
- The Fat Controller: Bless me! What a noise!
- Edward: They all hissed me, Sir. They say tender engines don't shunt, and last night, they said I have black wheels! I haven't, have I, Sir?
- The Fat Controller: No, Edward. You have nice, blue ones, and I'm proud of you. Tender engines do shunt. But all the same, we do need another tank engine here.
Percy Runs Away
- Gordon: [approaches Percy] Ohhhh!! GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!
- Gordon: [helps Percy out of the earth bank] Well done, Percy! You started so quickly that you stopped a nasty accident!
- Percy: I'm sorry I was cheeky.
- Gordon: You were clever to stop.
Coal (UK) / Henry's Special Coal (US)
- Henry: I suffer dreadfully, and no one cares.
- James: Rubbish, Henry! You don't work hard enough!
- The Fat Controller: How are you, Henry?
- Henry: Beep-Beep-Beep! I feel fine!
- The Fat Controller: Have you a good fire, Driver?
- Driver: Never better, Sir, and plenty of steam.
- The Fat Controller: No record breaking. Don't push him too hard.
- Driver: Henry won't need pushing, Sir. I'll have to hold him back.
The Flying Kipper
- Henry: [pulls out of the harbor] Come on! Come on! Don't be silly! Don't be silly!
- Vans: Trickety-trock! Trickety-trock! All right! All right!
- Henry: That's better. That's better.
- [after the accident]
- Henry: The signal was down, Sir.
- The Fat Controller: Cheer up, Henry. It wasn't your fault. Ice and snow caused the accident. I'm sending you to Crewe, a fine place for sick engines. They'll give you a new shape and a larger firebox. You'll feel a different engine, and you won't need special coal anymore. Won't that be nice?
- Henry: [doubtful] Yes, sir.
Whistles and Sneezes
- Gordon: Why should Henry have a new shape? A shape good enough for me is good enough for him. He goes gallivanting off to Crewe, leaving us to do his work, and comes back saying how happy he feels. It's disgraceful! And there's another thing: Henry whistles too much! No respectable engine ever whistles loudly at stations. It isn't wrong, but we just don't do it!
- Driver: Henry has plenty of ashes. Please keep all windows shut till we pass the bridge. Henry's as excited as we are. Aren't you, old fellow?
- Narrator: Henry was feeling "stuffed-up".
Toby and the Stout Gentleman (UK) / Toby the Tram Engine (US)
- Henrietta: Hip-Hip-Hooray!
- Narrator: But Toby didn't sing.
- Toby: Electric, indeed. Electric, indeed!
- Grandchildren: Come on, Grandfather! Do look at this engine.
- The Fat Controller: That's a tram engine, Stephen.
- Bridget: Is it electric?
- Toby: [angrily] WHOOSH!!
- Stephen: Shh! You've offended him!
- Bridget: But trams are electric, aren't they?
- The Fat Controller: They are mostly, but this is a steam tram.
- Stephen and Bridget: May we go in it, Grandfather? Please?
- The Fat Controller: [to the guard] STOP!
Thomas in Trouble (UK) / Thomas Breaks the Rules (US)
- Policeman: Engines going on public roads must have their wheels covered and a cowcatcher in front to protect people and animals from being dragged under the wheels if they stray onto the line. [directly to Thomas] You haven't, so you are dangerous!
- Driver: Rubbish! We've been along here hundreds of times and never had an accident!
- Policeman: That makes it worse.
- [he writes "Regular Law Breaker" in his notebook as Thomas exits]
- Narrator: At the station, Thomas' driver told the Fat Controller what had happened.
- The Fat Controller: Dangerous to the public, indeed! We'll see about that!
- Narrator: The Fat Controller spoke to the Policeman. But however much he argued with him, it was no good.
- Policeman: The law is the law, and we can't change it.
- Narrator: The Fat Controller felt exhausted.
- The Fat Controller: I'm sorry, Driver. It's no use arguing with policemen. We will have to make those "cowcatcher" things for Thomas, I suppose.
- Thomas: Everyone will laugh, Sir! They'll say I look like a tram!
- Narrator: The Fat Controller stared, then he laughed.
- The Fat Controller: Well done, Thomas! Why didn't I think of it before?! We need a tram engine! When I was on my holiday, I met a nice little engine called Toby. He takes trucks from the farms, but the lorries are taking over most of his work and he needs a change. He has cowcatchers and sideplates. I'll write to his controller at once.
Dirty Objects (UK) / James in a Mess (US)
- James: [eyes Toby and Henrietta] Yecch! What dirty objects!
- Toby: [offended] James, why are you red?
- James: I am a splendid engine. Ready for anything. You never see my paint dirty.
- Toby: Oh! That's why you once needed bootlaces, to be ready, I suppose.
- Toby: Look here, Percy! Whatever is that dirty object?
- Percy: That's James. Didn't you know?
- Toby: It's James' shape. But James is a splendid red engine, and you never see his paint dirty.
- Narrator: James pretended he hadn't heard.
Off the Rails (UK) / Gordon Takes a Dip (US)
- Gordon: [in his sleep] It's really tiring to be such a large and splendid engine. One does have to keep up appearances so.
- [Henry shows up unexpectedly]
- Henry: Beep-Beep-Beep-Beep! Hello, lazybones!
- Gordon: What cheek! That Henry is too big for his wheels. Fancy speaking to me like that. Me, who has never had an accident!
- Percy: Aren't jammed whistles and burst safety valves accidents?
- Gordon: No, indeed! High spirits-- Might happen to any engine. But to come off the rails like Henry did, well I ask you, is that right? Is it decent?!
- The Fat Controller: [on the phone] So Gordon didn't want to take the special train and ran into a ditch?! What's that you say? The special's waiting? Tell Edward to take it, please. And Gordon, leave him where he is. We'll get him out later.
Down the Mine
- Thomas: PHEW! What a funny smell! Can you smell a smell?
- Annie: I can't smell a smell.
- Thomas: A funny, musty sort of smell.
- Gordon: No one noticed it 'til you did. It must be yours.
- Narrator: Not long ago, he had fallen into a dirty ditch. Thomas enjoyed teasing him about it.
- Thomas: Annie, Clarabel, do you know what I think it is? It's ditch water!
- Thomas: [after falling down the mine] Fire and smoke! I'm sunk! Oh, dear! I am a silly engine!
- The Fat Controller: [smiles] And a very naughty one, too. I saw you.
- Thomas: Please get me out. I won't do it again.
- The Fat Controller: I'm not sure. We can't lift you out with a crane. The ground's not firm enough. Hmm... Let me see... I wonder if Gordon could pull you out?
- Thomas: [nervously] Yes, Sir.
Thomas' Christmas Party
- Annie and Clarabel: It's always the same before Christmas. We feel so full! We feel so full!
- Thomas: Oh, come on! Where's your festive spirit? Christmas Day is almost here!
- Gordon: Ha! Just look at us. Your driver will have to work fast to get you as smart as us.
- Thomas: Never mind that. I have something important to say. Do you realize it's been a whole year since Mrs. Kyndley saved us from a nasty accident?
- [he has a flashback of what happened]
- Thomas: You remember, when she was ill and bed, and...?
- Edward: Yes, of course. You told us how she waved her red dressing gown out of her window to warn you about a landslide ahead.
- Percy: And you and Toby gave her presents. And the Fat Controller sent her to Bournemouth to get better.
- James: But...
- Henry: The rest of us never thanked her properly.
- Thomas: Exactly! So, now I think we should all give her a special Christmas party.