(Redirected from Valkyrie)
Valkyrie is a historical thriller about the July 20th Plot to kill Adolf Hitler and overthrow the Nazi Government. The film stars Tom Cruise as Claus von Stauffenberg, and Bill Nighy as Friedrich Olbricht.
Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg
- [translation of letter he is writing] The Fuhrer's promises of peace and prosperity have fallen by the wayside leaving in their wake a path of destruction. The outrages committed by Hitler's SS are a stain on the honor of the German Army. There is widespread disgust in the officer corps toward the crimes committed by the Nazis, the murder of civilians, the torture and starvation of prisoners, the mass execution of Jews. My duty as an officer is no longer to save my country, but to save human lives. I cannot find one general in a position to confront Hitler with the courage to do it.
- [Last words] Long live sacred Germany!
Major General Henning von Tresckow
- God promised Abraham that he would not destroy Sodom if he could find ten righteous men... I have a feeling that for Germany it may come down to one.
- It only matters that we act- now, before we lose the war. Otherwise this will always be Hitler's Germany. We have to show the world that not all of us were like him.
Colonel Mertz von Quirnheim
- Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off.
General Ludwig Beck
- [to the conspirators] Gentlemen, good morning. Hitler has scheduled a military briefing for today at 1:00. Stauffenberg will start once everyone is present. Before arming the explosives, Stauffenberg will call here for authorisation to proceed. After the flash, his inside man will sever all communications. Assuming Fromm refuses to join us, Olbricht will take command of the Reserve Army and initiate Valkyrie. Then he will notify all district commanders that the SS is attempting to seize power. The Reserve Army will arrest all SS, Gestapo and Nazi officials. By then, Stauffenberg will have returned to Berlin and taken command of the Reserve Army. Witzleben and I will assume the roles of Commander of the Armed Forces and Head of State. With Berlin secured, Dr. Goerdeler will address the nation as our new Chancellor. Then, God willing, we can negotiate a truce with the Allies and save Europe from total destruction.
- German Commander: We advance to Sidi Massura and hold it.
- Stauffenberg: The British are moving in from the east, Patton's closing in from the coast, Montgomery from the south. You know we should have left two days ago.
- German Commander: No, Colonel, we keep fighting, until the final victory.
- Stauffenberg: North Africa's lost, and a year from now, you're going to need these men to defend Berlin. We can serve Germany or the Fuehrer; not both.
- German Commander: It's just that sort of talk that got you sent here, Colonel.
- Stauffenberg: What I said was much worse.
- Gen Friedrich Olbricht: [discussing a replacement] There's no one we can trust. Not in Berlin.
- Maj Gen Henning von Tresckow: Then stop looking in Berlin.
- Col. Claus von Stauffenberg: I am involved in high treason with all means available to me. Can I count you in?
- Lieutenant Werner von Haeften: For anything, sir. Anything at all.
- Stauffenberg: "Anything" is a very dangerous word, Lieutenant.
- [When Olbricht and Stauffenberg arrive at Fromm's office, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel is inside; the two are engaged in a shouting match, arguing furiously.]
- Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel: You're nothing but a useless old coward, Fromm! I'd send you to the front but I think you'd surrender, just to be Montgomery's whore!
- [Keitel storms out; Fromm's secretary brings Stauffenberg and Olbricht in.]
- General Friedrich Fromm: What is it you want?
- General Friedrich Olbricht: I wanted to introduce our new man, Colonel Stauffenberg.
- General Friedrich Fromm: Ah! From Africa. Well, I'd offer you my hand, but I might not get it back. [Stauffenberg lost his right hand while serving with the Afrika Corps]
- Col. Claus von Stauffenberg: I'd say the General's lost more important things this morning.
- [There is a pause; Fromm suddenly bursts out laughing.]
- General Friedrich Fromm: It's about time they put somebody with balls into this office.
- [Major Otto Remer has just left Propaganda Minister Goebbels' office and orders the arrested Nazi officials released]
- Second Lieutenant Hagen: [confused] But sir, these men are part of a coup.
- Major Otto Remer: I've just been on the phone with Hitler himself. We are the coup, you idiot! We've been duped!
- The conspiracy begins December 25th.
- Many saw evil. They dared to stop it.
- Tom Cruise - Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg:
- Kenneth Branagh - Major General Henning von Tresckow
- Terence Stamp -Colonel General Ludwig Beck
- Tom Wilkinson - Colonel General Friedrich Fromm
- Christian Berkel -Colonel Mertz von Quirnheim
- Jamie Parker - Lieutenant Werner von Haeften
- Thomas Kretschmann - Major Otto Ernst Remer