(Redirected from Valkyrie)
Valkyrie is a historical thriller about the July 20th Plot to kill Adolf Hitler and overthrow the Nazi Government. The film stars Tom Cruise as Claus von Stauffenberg and Bill Nighy as Friedrich Olbricht.
Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg
- [translation of letter he is writing] The Fuhrer's promises of peace and prosperity have fallen by the wayside leaving in their wake a path of destruction. The outrages committed by Hitler's SS are a stain on the honor of the German Army. There is widespread disgust in the officer corps toward the crimes committed by the Nazis, the murder of civilians, the torture and starvation of prisoners, the mass execution of Jews. My duty as an officer is no longer to save my country, but to save human lives. I cannot find one general in a position to confront Hitler with the courage to do it. I find myself surrounded by men unwilling or unable to face the truth; Hitler is not only the archenemy of the entire world, but the archenemy of Germany. A change must be made.
- [Last words] Long live sacred Germany!
Major-General Henning von Tresckow
- God promised Abraham that he would not destroy Sodom if he could find ten righteous men... I have a feeling that for Germany it may come down to one.
- It only matters that we act- now, before we lose the war. Otherwise this will always be Hitler's Germany. We have to show the world that not all of us were like him.
Colonel Mertz von Quirnheim
- Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off.
General Ludwig Beck
- [to the conspirators] Gentlemen, good morning. Hitler has scheduled a military briefing for today at 1:00. Stauffenberg will start once everyone is present. Before arming the explosives, Stauffenberg will call here for authorisation to proceed. After the flash, his inside man will sever all communications. Assuming Fromm refuses to join us, Olbricht will take command of the Reserve Army and initiate Valkyrie. Then he will notify all district commanders that the SS is attempting to seize power. The Reserve Army will arrest all SS, Gestapo and Nazi officials. By then, Stauffenberg will have returned to Berlin and taken command of the Reserve Army. Witzleben and I will assume the roles of Commander of the Armed Forces and Head of State. With Berlin secured, Dr. Goerdeler will address the nation as our new Chancellor. Then, God willing, we can negotiate a truce with the Allies and save Europe from total destruction.
- German Commander: Colonel, my orders are to advance to Sidi Massura and hold it. That is what we'll do.
- Col. Claus von Stauffenberg: The British are moving in from the east, Patton's closing in from the coast, Montgomery from the south. You know we should have left two days ago.
- German Commander: No, Colonel, we keep fighting, until the final victory.
- Stauffenberg: North Africa's lost, and a year from now, you're going to need these men to defend Berlin. We can serve Germany or the Fuehrer; not both.
- German Commander: It's just that sort of talk that got you sent here, Colonel.
- Stauffenberg: What I said was much worse.
- Gen Friedrich Olbricht: [discussing a replacement] There's no one we can trust. Not in Berlin.
- Maj Gen Henning von Tresckow" Then stop looking in Berlin.
- Col. Claus von Stauffenberg: [looking at a portrait of Hitler] Do you know how this war will end, Lieutenant? The portrait will be unhung, and the man will be hung. I am involved in high treason with all means available to me. Can I count you in?
- Lieutenant Werner von Haeften: For anything, sir. Anything at all.
- Stauffenberg: "Anything" is a very dangerous word, Lieutenant.
- [When Olbricht and Stauffenberg arrive at Fromm's office, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel is inside; the two are engaged in a shouting match, arguing furiously.]
- Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel: I have better things to do with my time than to come down here and clean up your mess! If you were enough of a man to run this department, I wouldn't have to do it myself! You're an old woman, Fromm! I'd send you to the front if I didn't think you'd surrender, just to be Montgomery's whore! [storms out as Fromm's secretary brings Stauffenberg and Olbricht in.]
- General Friedrich Fromm: What is it you want?
- General Friedrich Olbricht: I wanted to introduce our new man, Colonel Stauffenberg.
- Fromm: Ah! From Africa. Well, I'd offer you my hand, but I might not get it back.
- Col. Claus von Stauffenberg: I'd say the General's lost more important things this morning.
- Fromm: [breaks out in laughter] It's about time they put somebody with balls into this office, [laughs] Please sit down Colonel, and Olbricht, if you must.
- General Friedrich Fromm: I don't need to remind you that we have all sworn an oath to the Fuhrer. [Carefully disables a listening device in his telephone] Having said that, I'm going to forget this conversation ever took place, in the strict understanding that such talk never occurs again under this roof. Is that clear?!
- Col. Claus von Stauffenberg: Yes, sir.
- General Friedrich Olbricht: Yes, sir.
- General Friedirch Fromm: Now you can tell your friends, Colonel, that I always come down on the right side, and as long as the Fuehrer is alive, you know what side that is.
- [Major Otto Remer has just left Propaganda Minister Goebbels' office and orders the arrested Nazi officials released]
- Second Lieutenant Hagen: [confused] But sir, these men are part of a coup.
- Major Otto Remer: I've just been on the phone with Hitler himself. We are the coup, you idiot! We've been duped!
- The conspiracy begins December 25th.
- Many saw evil. They dared to stop it.
- Tom Cruise - Colonel Claus Schenk Graf von Stauffenberg
- Bill Nighy - General of Infantry Friedrich Olbricht
- Terence Stamp - Colonel General Ludwig Beck
- Tom Wilkinson - Colonel General Friedrich Fromm
- Carice van Houten - Nina Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg
- Kevin McNally - Dr. Carl Friedrich Goerdeler
- Kenneth Branagh - MG Henning von Tresckow
- David Schofield - General Field Marshal [[Erwin von Witzleben}}
- Christian Berkel - Colonel Albrecht Ritter Mertz von Quirnheim
- Jamie Parker - Lieutenant Werner von Haeften
- Eddie Izzard - Erich Fellgiebel
- David Bamber - Adolf Hitler
- Thomas Kretschmann - Major Otto Ernst Remer
- Harvey Friedman - Dr. Joseph Goebbels
- Kenneth Cranham - General Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel
- Matthias Freihof - Heinrich Himmler
- Waldemar Kobus - Wolf-Heinrich Graf von Helldorf
- Halina Reijn - Margarethe von Oven
- Werner Daehn - Major Ernst John von Freyend
- Tom Hollander as Colonel Heinz Brandt
- Bernard Hill - A General working with Stauffenberg in Tunisia
- Ian McNeice- the composite "Pompous General"
- Gerhard Haase-Hindenberg as Hermann Göring
- Anton Algrang - Albert Speer
- Helmut Stauss - judge Roland Freisler
- Matthew Burton - Lieutenant General Adolf Heusinger