Nintendo is a multinational corporation founded on September 23, 1889 in Kyoto, Japan by Fusajiro Yamauchi to produce handmade hanafuda cards. In the mid-twentieth century, the company tried several small niche businesses, such as a love hotel and a taxi company. Over the years, it became a video game company, growing into one of the most powerful in the industry.
Due to inherent difficulties in translating Japanese to English, the company's quotations have been grossly misconstrued.
- My Name is Reggie. I'm about kicking ass and taking names -- and we're about making games.
- A game that keeps a smile on the player's face is a wonderful thing. Nintendo's theme for 2006 will be 'Create new fun.' Spread the fun of games to everyone. To do this, we must return to the beginning, to recapture the essence that made people who enjoy games even now enjoy them in the first place.
- Shigeru Miyamoto, Famitsu
- ...I've never once been embarrassed that children have supported Nintendo. I'm proud of it. That's because children judge products based on instinct. Everyone wants to appeal to people's instincts, but it's not easy. That doesn't mean we're making products just for children. We believe that there's interactive entertainment that people in their 60s, 70s and 80s can enjoy, so we're doing various things.
- Our competitors are always saying that Nintendo is just for children. To counter that, what we really need to do is explain to customers and potential customers [that we do not just make games for kids]."
- If we can increase the scope of the industry, we can re-energise the global market and lift Japan out of depression - that is Nintendo's mission.". Regarding lukewarm GameCube sales which had yielded the company's first reported operating loss in over 100 years, Yamauchi continued: "The DS represents a critical moment for Nintendo's success over the next two years. If it succeeds, we rise to the heavens, if it fails, we sink into hell."
- I suppose I could give you a list of the technical specs. I believe you would like that, but I won't for a simple reason: they really don't matter.
- We want to thank everyone who wrote good things about it the day you heard it—both of you.
- Reggie Fils-Aime. E3 2006
- Joking about the reaction to the Wii's name when it was first announced.
- You say you want a Revolution?
- Satoru Iwata, Nintendo E3 2005 Conference
- . Nikkei talks with Nintendo's Yamauchi and Iwata. GameScience. Archived from the original on January 27, 2006. Retrieved on May 27, 2014.
- Metts, Jonathan (February 13, 2004). Iwata, Yamauchi Speak Out on Nintendo DS. Nintendo Worldwide Report. Retrieved on May 27, 2014.
- Constantine, John. Rise to Heaven: Five Years of Nintendo DS. 1UP.com. Retrieved on 27 May 2014.