|This musician-related article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Music is natural law as related to the sense of hearing.
- The Path to the New Music
- Except for the violin pieces and a few of my orchestra pieces, all of my works from the Passacaglia on relate to the death of my mother.
- Letter to Alban Berg. Hayes, Malcolm. 1995. Anton von Webern, p.71
About Anton Webern
- Doomed to total failure in a deaf world of ignorance and indifference, he inexorably kept on cutting out his diamonds, his dazzling diamonds, of whose mines he had a perfect knowledge.
- "[the impression of the first time I heard Webern's music in a concert performance] was the same as I was to experience a few years later when I first laid eyes on a Mondriaan canvas...: those things, of which I had acquired an extremely intimate knowledge, came across as crude and unfinished when seen in reality"
- Karel Goeyvaerts, quoted in: 1994. "Paris: Darmstadt 1947-1956: Excerpt from the Autobiographical Portrait", translated by Patrick Daly, Peter Vosch, and Roger Janssens. p.39