The brain is an organ that serves as the center of the nervous system in all vertebrate and most invertebrate animals—only a few invertebrates such as sponges, jellyfish, adult sea squirts and starfish do not have a brain, even if diffuse neural tissue is present. It is located in the head, usually close to the primary sensory organs for such senses as vision, hearing, balance, taste, and smell.
|This science article is a stub. You can help Wikiquote by expanding it.|
- Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons.
- Will Cuppy, The Decline and Fall of Practically Everybody, 1950
- Brain, n. An apparatus with which we think we think.
- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
- Do we trivialize a sublime feeling if we appreciate its dependence on the brain? Not in the least. Its significance does not depend on its being a soul state or a brain state...Humility bids us to take ourselves as we are; we do not have to be cosmically significant to be genuinely significant.
- Patricia Churchland, in Brain-Wise
- We do have an organ for understanding and recognizing moral facts. It is called the brain.
- Paul Churchland, in A Neurocomputational Perspective (1989)
- My brain is open!
- Paul Erdős, in a standard greeting he would make when he was not contemplating some mathematical problem, as quoted in My Brain Is Open : The Mathematical Journeys of Paul Erdos (1998) by Bruce Schechter, p. 10
- If the human brain were so simple that we could understand it, we would be so simple that we couldn't.
- Emerson M. Pugh, as quoted in The Biological Origin of Human Values
- The brain is a mystery; it has been and still will be. How does the brain produce thoughts? That is the central question and we have still no answer to it.
- Anyone who claims that the brain is a total mystery should be slapped upside the head with the MIT Encyclopedia of the Cognitive Sciences. All one thousand ninety-six pages of it.
- My brain? It's my second favorite organ!
- A hidden spark of the dream sleeps in the forest and waits in the celestial spheres of the brain.
- Dejan Stojanovic, in Circling, ”In Search of Spark,” Sequence: “A Warden with No Keys” (1993)
- I was taught that the human brain was the crowning glory of evolution so far, but I think it’s a very poor scheme for survival.
- Kurt Vonnegut, As quoted in The Observer [London] (27 December 1987)
- The brain, is the most complex thing we have yet discovered in our universe.