Enemy of the State
Robert Clayton Dean
- Actually, I believe the slur "shyster" is generally reserved for Jewish attorneys. I believe the proper slur for someone like myself would be "eggplant".
- [talking to wife on the way back from work] You're the only woman for me. You and Janet Jackson.
Edward "Brill" Lyle
- If you live another day I'll be very impressed.
- You know the Hubble Telescope that looks up to the stars? They've got over a hundred spy satellites looking down at us. That's classified.
- Fort Meade has acres of mainframe computers underground. You're talking on the phone and you use the word, "bomb," "president," "Allah," any of a hundred key words, the computer recognizes it, automatically records it, red flags it for analysis; that was twenty years ago.
- Robert Clayton Dean: Planning a quick getaway?
- Edward "Brill" Lyle: Yeah. Ever since I met you.
- Robert Clayton Dean: What the hell just happened?
- Edward "Brill" Lyle: I blew up the building.
- Dean: Why?
- Lyle: Because you made a phone call!
- Edward "Brill" Lyle: In guerrilla warfare they taught us to use our weaknesses as strengths.
- Robert Clayton Dean: Such as?
- Lyle: Well, if they're big and you're small, then you're mobile and they're slow. You're hidden and they're exposed. You only fight battles you know you can win. That's the way the Vietcong did it. You capture their weapons and you use them against them the next time. That way they're supplying you. You grow stronger as they grow weaker.
- [During the standoff at Pintero's restaurant]
- Thomas Brian Reynolds: What will it take for us to walk out of here with that video tape?
- Boss Paulie Pintero: The end of the world.
- Congressman Sam Albert: [on TV] We knew that we had to monitor our enemies. We've also come to realize that we need to monitor the people who are monitoring them...
- Carla Dean: Well who's gonna monitor the monitors of the monitors?
- Robert Clayton Dean: I wouldn't mind doing a little... "monitoring" myself.
- Carla Dean: Yes, and you've got lots and lots of... "monitoring" to do.
- Eric Dean: Are you guys talking about sex?
- It's not paranoia if they're really after you
- In God we trust. The rest we monitor.
- The only privacy left is inside of your head
- Will Smith - Robert Clayton Dean
- Gene Hackman - Edward "Brill" Lyle
- Jon Voight - Thomas Brian Reynolds
- Barry Pepper - Detective David Pratt