Friday Night Lights (film)
- Directed by Peter Berg. Written by David Aaron Cohen and Peter Berg, based on the book Friday Night Lights: A Town by H.G. Bissinger.
Coach Gary Gaines
- Stop reading the news clippings. You're small and you're going to be smaller every week. There ain't going to be no growth spurt between now and the first game. You're going to use your minds! You're going to play with your heart! And that is what you're going to use to win the State Championship.
- I've seen you fight. I've seen you not quit. Can you give me a great effort and just a little bit more. Can you be perfect?
- Gentlemen, the hopes and dreams of an entire town are riding on your shoulders. You may never matter again in your life as much as you do right now.
- I want you to take a moment, and I want you to look each other in the eyes. I want you to put each other in your hearts forever because forever is about to happen here in just a few minutes. I want you to close your eyes, and I want you to think about Boobie Miles, who is your brother. And he would die to be out there in that field with you tonight. And I want you to put that in your hearts. Boys my heart is full. My heart is full.
- Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman - you're perfect!
- Y'all wanna win? Put Boobie in.
- What am I gonna do if I can't play football? I'm not good at nothin'!
- What's wrong with y'all? Y'all are playin' like some little girls! Y'all act like you never played football before! These guys are nothin'! They bleed just like we do, and sweat just like we do. They went through two-a-days. We went through two-a-days in 110 degree heat. I want you to hit everything that move! If the ref gets in your way, you hit him! They're cheatin' us too! They're against us too. This is our team. This is us! Let's go right now! Let's get it off now and let's go!
- You just-you ain't gettin' it. You don't understand. This is the only thing you're ever gonna have. Forever, it carries you forever. It's an ugly fact of life. Donnie, hell. It's the only fact of life. You got one year, one stinkin' year to make yourself some memories, son. That's all. It's gone after that. And I'll be damned if you're not gonna miss it.
- Boobie Miles: Where's your girlfriend at, Water Bug?
- Chris Comer: What?
- Boobie Miles: You mean to say you have no girlfriend, Water Bug?
- Permian Assistant Coach: 5 minutes, boys.
- Boobie Miles: You want to know why you have no girlfriend, Water Bug?
- Chris Comer: Why?
- Boobie Miles: You got the wrong shoes, man!
- [Comer looks at him confused]
- Boobie Miles: You got on white Adidas! Dude, everyone knows that the shoes to wear is Nikes! Adida can't hold a nickel next to Nike! Ask Ivory! Ask Preacher Man!
- Ivory Christian: It don't matter what shoes you wear, Boobie.
- Boobie Miles: C'mon, Preacher, bullshit!
- Ivory Christian: Don't matter, man.
- Boobie Miles: You know God made black beautiful. God made Boobie beautiful, black and strong...
- Don Billingsley: [to Chavez] His mouth is getting bigger and bigger and bigger.
- Boobie Miles: ...And when Boobie knocks some punks out, Boobie is going to knock them out with black Nikes on his feet, now ain't that right?
- Ivory Christian: I could knock you out in a pair of flip flops.
- Boobie Miles: Yeah, well I'm going to knock them out with black Nikes on my feet. And I'm gonna smile when I do.
- Boobie Miles: I get straight A's. I'm a athlete.
- Reporter: In what subject?
- Boobie Miles: Hey, there's only one subject. It's football.
- Reporter: Should we believe the hype?
- Boobie Miles: What hype?
- Reporter: The hype about Boobie Miles.
- Boobie Miles: Now hype is something that's not for real. I'm all real.
- Mike Winchell: Hey Boobie, you didn't lift.
- Boobie Miles: C'mon man. This is god given. The only thing I gotta do is show up.
- Coach Gary Gaines: So how is it out there?
- Ivory Christian: They're fast, they're big, they're dirty... plus they're fast.
- Coach Gary Gaines: You said that already.
- Mike Winchell: You ever feel cursed, Coach? Like, no matter what, inside your heart you feel that you're gonna lose. Like something's hanging over you, following you like a witch or a demon that just... I feel like that all the time. Even when things are going good. When we're winnin', it's there. And when we're losin', it's there.
- Coach Gary Gaines: It took me a long time to realize that, uh, there ain't much difference between winnin' and losin', except for how the outside world treats you. But inside you, it's about all the same. It really is. Fact of the matter is, I believe that, uh, our only curses are the ones that are self-imposed. You know what I'm sayin'? We, all of us, dig our own holes.
- Mike Winchell: Did you think it was going to be this big?
- Brian Chavez: Yeah.
- Mike Winchell: Bullshit man.
- Brian Chavez: I do.
- Mike Winchell: You act like that. You think it's just a game. Something to check off on your list. Know what I think?
- Brian Chavez: What's that?
- Mike Winchell: I think you're scared just like the rest of us. But I think you're smart enough to see that one day when you look back from whatever big job or big house, or whatever it is that you got, that when you look back at this time, I dare you to beat it. I dare you.
- Brian Chavez: It's just a game.
- Don Billingsley: It doesn't feel like just a game to me.
- Brian Chavez: So what's it feel like?
- Don Billingsley: Feels like... feels like we're going to war.
- Brian Chavez: I'm gonna miss the heat.
- Don Billingsley: I'm gonna miss the lights.
- Brian Chavez: Yeah, me too. Stay low boys, keep those feet moving.
- Don Billingsley: Hey Chavez! Be perfect.
- Brian Chavez: You be perfect.
- Don Billingsley: See you Mike.
- Billy Bob Thornton - Coach Gary Gaines
- Lucas Black - Mike Winchell
- Garrett Hedlund - Don Billingsley
- Derek Luke - James "Boobie" Miles
- Jay Hernandez - Brian Chavez
- Lee Jackson III - Ivory Christian
- Lee Thompson Young - Chris Comer
- Tim McGraw - Charles Billingsley
- Connie Britton - Sharon Gaines
- Julius Tennon - Coach Freddie James