Green Lantern is the title of many superhero characters appearing in comic books published by DC Comics. Alan Scott, created by writer Bill Finger and artist Martin Nodell in All-American Comics #16 (July 1940), was the earliest. The most famous is Hal Jordan, created by John Broome and Gil Kane in Showcase #22 (Oct. 1959). Each Green Lantern possesses a power ring that gives the user great control over the physical world as long as the wielder has sufficient willpower and strength to wield it.
- See also: Green Lantern (2011 film)
- I shall shed my light over dark evil.
For the dark things cannot stand the light,
The light of the Green Lantern!
- Original Green Lantern oath
- In days of peace, in nights of war
Obey the Laws forever more
Misconduct must be answered for
Swear us the chosen: The Alpha Corps!
- In brightest day, in darkest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!
- One of the most famous versions, used by Hal Jordan.
- In forest dark or glade beferned,
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
- You who are wicked, evil and mean
I'm the nastiest creep you've ever seen!
Come one, come all, put up a fight
I'll pound your butts with Green Lantern's light!
- In loudest din or hush profound
My ears catch evil's slightest sound
Let those who toll out evil's knell
Beware my power, the F-Sharp Bell!