Leopold II of Belgium
- "The Congo Free State is unique in its kind. It has nothing to hide and no secrets and is not beholden to anyone except its founder."
- Clive Foss, The Tyrants: 2500 Years of Absolute Power and Corruption, London: Quercus Publishing, 2006, ISBN 1905204965
- "I do not want to miss a good chance of getting us a slice of this magnificent African cake."
- Thomas Pakenham, The Scramble for Africa: White Man's Conquest of the Dark Continent From 1876 to 1912, New York: Avon Books, 1992, 22.
- "La musique est un bruit qui coûte cher."
- Translation: Music is an expensive noise.
- "Petit pays, petit esprit."
- Translation: Small country, small minds.
- Commenting on the unwillingness of the parliament and people of Belgium to engage in colonial adventures.