Africa is the world's second-largest and second-most-populous continent. It is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea to the north, both the Suez Canal and the Red Sea along the Sinai Peninsula to the northeast, the Indian Ocean to the southeast, and the Atlantic Ocean to the west. The continent includes Madagascar and various archipelagoes. Africa is also famous for its animals, such as the "Big Five".
- China’s investment in Africa of various kinds exceeds $40 billion.
- Chinese ambassador to South Africa, Tian Xuejun, quoted on Economist.com, "Chinese trade with Africa keeps growing; fears of neocolonialism are overdone", March 23, 2013.
- We will embrace partnerships based on mutual respect and win-win scenarios. We will not accept partnerships that do not recognise we also have the intellectual capacity to engage on equal terms. Africa has a voice. Fifty years after independence, Africa demands that its voice must be heard.
- Quoted on BBC News, "Kenya's independence: Uhuru Kenyatta in equality appeal", December 12, 2013.
- Business tourism is rising in Africa. Demand from international civil servants and businessman is growing strongly.
- Chief Executive Officer Mossadeck Bally, quoted on Bloomberg, "Mali’s Azalai Hotels Plans $165 Million for West Africa Growth", January 30, 2014.
- The price that Africa is paying could cover the cost of solving the HIV and AIDS crisis in Africa, or provide education, water and prevention and treatment for tuberculosis and malaria,”
- Between 1990 and 2005, 23 African nations were involved in conflicts, and the total cost was about US$300 billion,”
- One of the many economic differences between developed and developing countries is that developed countries subsidize farmers while developing countries tax farmers. . . . World Bank studies suggest that US subsidies alone reduce West Africa’s annual revenue from cotton exports by $250 [million] a year.
- The UN publication Africa Recovery
- The 21 countries with the highest incidence of HIV infection are all in Africa, and in 10 of those countries, at least 10 percent of the population is infected.
- None of us has yet begun to grasp the full impact of this horror—on the quality of life in Africa, its economic potential and its social and political stability.
- There is a dismal record of failure in Africa on the part of the developed world that shocks and shames our civilization.
- Creeping with awe to the verge, I peered down into a large rent which had been made from bank to bank of the broad Zambezi, and saw that a stream of a thousand yards broad leaped down a hundred feet [30 m] and then became suddenly compressed into a space of fifteen to twenty yards.
- No one can imagine the beauty of the view from anything witnessed in England. It had never been seen before by European eyes; but scenes so lovely must have been gazed upon by angels in their flight.
- The islands above the falls are covered with foliage as beautiful as can be seen anywhere. Viewed from the mass of rock which overhangs the fall, the scenery was the loveliest I had seen.