Pedophilia is defined as a sexual interest in prepubescent children.
- Arranged alphabetically by author
- [Pedophiles must be] excluded from any possibility of access to young people, because we know this is an illness where free will does not work. We must protect these people against themselves.
- The science suggests that [pedophiles] are people who, through no fault of their own, were born with a sex drive that they must continuously resist, without exception, throughout their entire lives. Little if any assistance is ever available for them.
They are often unable to consult mental health professionals (because of mandatory reporting rules); their families will often disown rather than support them; and despite the openness of the Internet, there are few options for coming out and joining communities of other pedophiles for mutual support.
Having encountered thousands of cases, it is my experience that the pedophiles who do go on to become actual child molesters do so when they feel the most desperate. Yet, much of what society does has been to increase rather than decrease their desperation.
- Catholic kids are stupid; they don't know how to handle a pedophile priest.
Here's what you do: First of all, you don't get all scared and do whatever he tells you. Who wants to get sucked off by a forty-three-year-old clergyman with beard stubble? Not me. Instead, what you do is kick him in the nuts. You kick him squarely in the nuts, and you get the fuck out of there as fast as you can, and you go tell somebody right away; you tell as many grown-up people as you can––one of them is bound to believe you.
That's what you do. You don't wait thirty years. You kick the priest in the nuts and say, "Fuck you, Father, I don't do that shit"... And you're out the door.
- George Carlin, When Will Jesus Bring the Pork Chops (2004), 'Fuck you Father for you have sinned'.
- [T]his sexual attraction has the potential to cause significant harm to others and is also not in the best interests of the individual.
- If I were to see the case of a boy aged ten or eleven who's intensely erotically attracted toward a man in his twenties or thirties, if the relationship is totally mutual, and the bonding is genuinely totally mutual ... then I would not call it pathological in any way.
- John Money, in an interview for Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, 1991. — Paidika: The Journal of Paedophilia, Vol. II, nr 3 (spring 1991), p. 5.
- Between the age limits of nine and fourteen there occur maidens who, to certain bewitched travelers, twice or many times older than they, reveal their true nature which is not human, but nymphic (that is, demoniac); and these chosen creatures I propose to designate as "nymphets".
- Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita, 1955.
- NAMBLA condemns sexual abuse and all forms of coercion. We insists there is a distinction between coercive and consesual sex. Laws that focus only on the age of the participants fail to capture that distinction, for they ignore the quality of the relationship. Differences in age do not preclude mutual, loving interaction between persons any more than differences in race or class.
Some existing laws criminalize sexual relationships that are loving and fully consensual. These laws are ill-conceived and morally repugnant. As is our right, we advocate their repeal.
- Blurb of NAMBLA Bulletin, published by the North American Man/Boy Love Association.
- Eine Cultur der Männer. – Die griechische Cultur der classischen Zeit ist eine Cultur der Männer. Was die Frauen anlangt, so sagt Perikles in der Grabrede Alles mit den Worten: sie seien am besten, wenn unter Männern so wenig als möglich von ihnen gesprochen werde. – Die erotische Beziehung der Männer zu den Jünglingen war in einem, unserem Verständniss unzugänglichen Grade die nothwendige, einzige Voraussetzung aller männlichen Erziehung (ungefähr wie lange Zeit alle höhere Erziehung der Frauen bei uns erst durch die Liebschaft und Ehe herbeigeführt wurde), aller Idealismus der Kraft der griechischen Natur warf sich auf jenes Verhältniss, und wahrscheinlich sind junge Leute niemals wieder so aufmerksam, so liebevoll, so durchaus in Hinsicht auf ihr Bestes (virtus) behandelt worden, wie im sechsten und fünften Jahrhundert, – also gemäss dem schönen Spruche Hölderlin's "denn liebend giebt der Sterbliche vom Besten".
- A male culture. Greek culture of the Classical era is a male culture. As for women, Pericles, in his funeral oration, says everything with the words: "They are best when men speak about them as little as possible." The erotic relationship of men to youths was, on a level which we cannot grasp, the necessary, sole prerequisite of all male education (more or less in the way love affairs and marriage were for a long time the only way to bring about the higher education of women); the whole idealism of strength of the Greek character was thrown into that relationship, and the treatment of young people has probably never again been so aware, loving, so thoroughly geared to their excellence (virtus), as it was in the sixth and fifth centuries—in accordance with Hölderlin's beautiful line, "denn liebend giebt der Sterbliche vom Besten" (for loving the mortal gives of his best).
- Friedrich Nietzsche, Human, All Too Human (1878), 259.
- [P]rostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, possession of child pornography, and even incest and pedophilia ... should be legal as long as no one is coerced. They are illegal only because of prejudice and narrowmindedness.
- I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is maturing.
- There is little evidence to justify the widespread assumption that willing participation in pedophilia hurts children.
Granted, children may not dare say no to an older relative, or may not realize they could say no; in that case, even if they do not overtly object, the relationship may still feel imposed to them. That's not willing participation, it's imposed participation, a different issue.
- Pedophilia means the excessive (sexual) love of children. It does not mean having sex with them, although that is what people generally have in mind when they use the term. Because children cannot legally consent to anything, an adult using a child as a sexual object is engaging in a wrongful act. Such an act is wrongful because it entails the use of physical coercion, the threat of such coercion, or (what comes to the same thing in a relationship between an adult and a child) the abuse of the adult’s status as a trusted authority. The outcome of the act — whether it is beneficial or detrimental for the child — is irrelevant for judging its permissibility.
- Thomas Szasz, The Medicalization of Everyday Life: Selected Essays (2007), p. 101.
- "You are not guilty because of your sexual desire, but you are responsible for your sexual behavior. There is help! Don't become an offender!"
- PPD campaign slogan (2005).