(Redirected from Religious love)
Spiritual love or religious love is love that is either believed to emanate from a supernatural entity, or which is directed towards such an entity, or which is directed at others in the name of or at the behest of such an entity.
- Love is the mystery of divine revelations! Love is the effulgent manifestation! Love is the spiritual fulfilment! Love is the light of the Kingdom! Love is the breath of the Holy Spirit inspired into the human spirit! Love is the cause of the manifestation of the Truth (God) in the phenomenal world!. Love is the necessary tie proceeding from the realities of things through divine creation!"
- ... love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave.Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord.
- The Bible, Song of Solomon 8:6.
- If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
- The Bible, I Corinthians 13:1-2.
- Love suffers long, and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.... And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
- The Bible, 1 Corinthians 13:4 - 8 (New King James Version) and an alternative "take":
- God is love, and those who abide in love abide in God, and God abides in them.
- The Bible, 1 John 4:16b
- There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
- The Bible, 1 John 4:18.
- Love thy neighbor as thyself.
- The Bible, Leviticus 19:18.
- Stay with me flagons, comfort me with apples: for I am sick of love.
- The Bible, Song of Solomon 2:5
- Alternate translation: "Strengthen me with flagons of wine, refresh me with apples; for sick of love am I".
- I adjure you, o daughters of Jerusalem, that you stir not up nor awaken love until it please.
- The Bible, Song of Solomon 8:4.
- Many waters cannot quench love, neither can the floods drown it.
- The Bible, Song of Solomon 8:7.
- Alternative translation: "Many waters are not able to quench love, nor can the rivers flood it away".
- Heaven's harmony is universal love.
- William Cowper, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 393.
- The incarnation of God in Christ reveals this truth, that the love that seeks and saves the lost is a love that suffers. On the one side there is loss, Gethsemane and the rugged burden of Golgotha, but on the other is gain, the gain of a world's redemption.
- Wesley R. Davis, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 393.
- God be thanked that there are some in the world to whose hearts the barnacles will not cling.
- Josiah Gilbert Holland, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 393.
- Of the systems above us, angelic and seraphic, we know little; but we see one law, simple, efficient, and comprehensive as that of gravitation,— the law of love,— extending its sway over the whole of God's dominions, living where He lives, embracing every moral movement in its universal authority, and producing the same harmony, where it is obeyed as we observe in the movements of nature.
- Mark Hopkins, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 393.
- But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
- Jesus, Matthew 5:44 - 45 (KJV).
- The soul that walks in love neither tires others nor grows tired
- St. John of the Cross in Sayings of Light and Love (1581, trans. by Kieran Kavanaugh and Otilio Rodríguez, 1991), # 97.
- Learn the new commandment of the Son of God. Not to love merely, but to love as He loved. Go forth in this spirit to your life-duties; go forth, — children of the cross, to carry every thing before you, and win victories for God by the conquering power of a love like His.
- Frederick William Robertson, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 394.
- Love is the greatest thing that God can give us, for Himself is love; and it is the greatest thing we can give to God, for it will also give ourselves, and carry with it all that is ours.
- Jeremy Taylor, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 392.
- If there is any thing that keeps the mind open to angel visits, and repels the ministry of ill, it is human love.
- Nathaniel Parker Willis, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 394.
- It was in prison that we found the hope of salvation for the Communists. It was there that we developed a sense of responsibility toward them. It was in being tortured by them that we learned to love them.
- Richard Wurmbrand, Tortured For Christ, p. 58 (1967).
- Humble love,
And not proud reason, keeps the door of heaven;
Love finds admission, where proud science fails.
- Edward Young, reported in Josiah Hotchkiss Gilbert, Dictionary of Burning Words of Brilliant Writers (1895), p. 392.