Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937 film)
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs is a 1937 animated film that was the first full length cartoon ever made. It is about Snow White who, pursued by a jealous queen, hides with the Dwarfs; the queen feeds her a poison apple, but The Prince awakens her with a kiss.
- Oh, what adorable little beds! And look, they have their names carved on them. Doc, Happy, Sneezy, Dopey– [laughs] What funny names for children! ...Grumpy, Bashful and Sleepy. I'm a little sleepy myself. [she yawns and lies across three of the beds]
- Now, a formula to transform my beauty into ugliness, change my queenly raiment to a peddler's cloak. [finds the 'Peddler's Disguise Formula' in her book] Mummy dust to make me old. To shroud my clothes, the black of night. To age my voice, an old hag's cackle. To whiten my hair, a scream of fright. A blast of wind, to fan my hate! A thunderbolt, to mix it well. Now, begin thy magic spell.
- When she breaks the tender peel, to taste the apple in my hand, her breath will still, her blood congeal. Then I'll be fairest in the land! [cackles, then pauses] But wait! There may be an antidote. Nothing must be overlooked. [looks through her book] Ah! Here it is! [reads antidote aloud] "The Victim of the Sleeping Death can be revived only by Love's First Kiss." [to herself] "Love's First Kiss." [slams the book shut] Bah! No fear of that. The dwarfs will think she's dead. She'll be buried alive!
- Heigh ho, heigh ho,
It's home from/off to work we go!
- Queen: Slave in the magic mirror, come from the farthest space, through wind and darkness I summon thee. Speak! Let me see thy face.
- Magic Mirror: What wouldst thou know, my Queen?
- Queen: Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?
- Magic Mirror: Famed is thy beauty, Majesty. But hold, a lovely maid I see. Rags cannot hide her gentle grace. Alas, she is more fair than thee.
- Queen: Alas for her! Reveal her name.
- Magic Mirror: Lips red as the rose. Hair black as ebony. Skin white as snow.
- Queen: Snow White!
- Queen: [to her huntsman] Take her far into the forest. Find some secluded glade where she can pick wildflowers.
- Huntsman: Yes, Your Majesty.
- Queen: And there, my faithful huntsman, you will kill her!
- Huntsman: [shocked] But Your Majesty! The little princess!...
- Queen: Silence! You know the penalty if you fail.
- Huntsman: [resigned] Yes, your Majesty.
- Queen: But to make doubly sure you do not fail... [holds up a box] bring back her heart in this.
- [The dwarves are examining their newly cleaned kitchen.]
- Sneezy: Hey, someone stole our dishes!
- Happy: They ain't stole. They're hid in the cupboard.
- Bashful: My cup's been washed. Sugar's gone.
- Happy: [sees a pot cooking over the fireplace] Something's cooking. [sniffs] Smells good.
- [He and Dopey walk towards it; Grumpy jumps in front of them.]
- Grumpy: Don't touch it, you fools! Might be poison. [the pot hisses; they jump back] See? It's witch's brew.
- Queen: Magic Mirror on the wall, who now is the fairest one of all?
- Magic Mirror: Over the seven jewelled hills, beyond the seventh fall, in the cottage of the seven dwarfs, dwells Snow White, fairest one of all.
- Queen: Snow White lies dead in the forest. The huntsman has brought me proof. [holds up the opened box] Behold her heart.
- Magic Mirror: Snow White still lives, the fairest in the land. 'Tis the heart of a pig you hold in your hand.
- Queen: [repulsed] The heart of a pig! Then I've been tricked!
- Snow White: [telling the dwarves a story] Once there was a princess.
- Doc: Was the princess you?
- Snow White: And she fell in love.
- Sneezy: Was it hard to do?
- Snow White: Oh, it was very easy. Anyone could see that the Prince was charming. The only one for me.
- Doc: Was he, um, strong and handsome?
- Sneezy: And was he big and tall?
- Snow White: [dreamily] There's nobody like him anywhere at all.
- Bashful: Did he say he loved ya?
- Happy: Did he steal a kiss?
- Snow White: [singing] He was so romantic. I could not resist.
- The Happiest, Dopiest, Grumpiest, Sneeziest movie of the year.
- The Best Loved Musical Of All Time
- The Show Sensation Of The Generation!
- Walt Disney's First Full Length Feature Production
- Behold - The Miracle Of The Movies! - Coming To Amaze You, Charm You, Thrill You!
- The One That Started It All
- Adriana Caselotti - Snow White
- Harry Stockwell - Prince
- Roy Atwell - Doc
- Pinto Colvig - Sleepy/Grumpy
- Billy Gilbert - Sneezy
- Otis Harlan - Happy
- Scotty Mattraw - Bashful
- Eddie Collins - Dopey
- Lucille La Verne - Queen
- Moroni Olsen - Magic Mirror