If you simply look at the quotes, you'd think the history of Iraq started in 2002. Someone ought to have said something about Iraq before that - something about their culture, their religion - something that doesn't have to do with the war? - —The preceding unsigned comment was added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) 2 August 2006, 16:40 (UTC)
- Or perhaps it would be better simply to change the name of this article to "War in Iraq." No doubt there would be a bit of dispute as to what the new title should be; but it still might be the more practical solution, since it's likely that the quotes which will be accumulating on this page are going to be more of this one particular subject. - InvisibleSun 18:21, 2 August 2006 (UTC)
Not even all these quotes have to do with Iraq. 2 or 3 in the middle refer to the Israel/Lebanon crisis, and not Iraq.
- The establishment of a free Iraq at the heart of the Middle East will be a watershed event in the global democratic revolution.
- We have traded a dictator for a chaos that has left America less secure.
- The motivation for war is simple. The U.S. government started the war with Iraq in order to make it easy for U.S. corporations to do business in other countries. They intend to use cheap labor in those countries, which will make Americans rich.
- For anyone who follows the news, the past few weeks has seen an increase in terrorist attacks against peace and civilization. From the bombing of the United Nations hotel in Baghdad to the continuing assaults against our troops in Iraq, we are coming to fully appreciate the sacrifice our men and women in uniform make on a daily basis.
- Governor Mitt Romney
- I wouldn't presume to present a plan different from that of the President. But I believe he was right to take on the war on terror on an aggressive front rather than a defensive front. We toppled the government ... walking away would mean a humanitarian disaster. We're there and we have a responsibility to finish the job.
- Frankly, Dick, you don't have the warplan, and that makes me very glad.
- Donald Rumsfeld in response to the question of why the US is not following the warplan at the start of the Iraq War. Taken during second press conference aired within the first hours of the US officially entering Iraqi territory.
- As we act, let us not become the evil we deplore.
- Congresswoman Barbara Lee in a speech to the House of Representatives 14 September 2001.