- America's state religion, is patriotism, a phenomenon which has convinced many of the citizenry that "treason" is morally worse than murder or rape.
- Bad literature is a form of treason.
- Corporations cannot commit treason, nor be outlawed, nor excommunicated, for they have no souls.
- I have always considered it as treason against the great republic of human nature, to make any man's virtues the means of deceiving him.
- In monarchy the crime of treason may admit of being pardoned or lightly punished, but the man who dares rebel against the laws of a republic ought to suffer death.
- Ingratitude is treason to mankind.
- New opinions often appear first as jokes and fancies, then as blasphemies and treason, then as questions open to discussion, and finally as established truths.
- Pity is treason.
- Truth is a trust, [whereas] falsehood [is] treason.
- There are no Soviet prisoners of war, only traitors.
- Donna: [After Sam learns the identity of a deceased Communist spy] It was people pushing paper around fifty years ago. Why does it matter?
Sam: It was high treason, and it mattered a great deal! This country is an idea, and one that’s lit the world for two centuries and treason against that idea is not just a crime against the living! This ground holds the graves of people who died for it, who gave what Lincoln called the last full measure of devotion, of fidelity.