- “What the housewives of Australia need to understand as they do the ironing is that if they get it done commercially it’s going to go up in price and their own power bills when they switch the iron on are going to go up.”
Sydney Morning Herald (February 9, 2010) http://www.smh.com.au/national/abbott-accused-of-being-incredibly-oldfashioned-as-he-lets-off-steam-20100209-nnqr.html
- There may not be a great job for [aboriginal people] but whatever there is, they just have to do it... And if it's picking up rubbish around the community, it just has to be done."
- I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons
- ""No one, however smart, however well educated, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom."
- Liberal Party Campaign launch, 12/08/2013
- I won't be rushing out to get my daughters vaccinated [for cervical cancer], maybe that's because I'm a cruel, callow, callous, heartless bastard but, look, I won't be
- "The argument [behind climate change] is absolute crap. However, the politics of this are tough for us. Eighty per cent of people believe climate change is a real and present danger."
- If we’re honest, most of us would accept that a bad boss is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband … you find that he tends to do more good than harm. He might be a bad boss but at least he’s employing someone while he is in fact a boss.
- "The media is not an arm of government, and no government should ever try to make it so."
- To Parliament 18/3/2013
- Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it’s not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia.
- Panel discussion "Tony Abbott on Q and A" on abc.net.au (Monday 5 April, 2010)
- The problem with the Australian practice of abortion is that an objectively grave matter has been reduced to a question of the mother’s convenience.
- Quoted in  "RATE OF ABORTION HIGHLIGHTS OUR MORAL FAILINGS" on tonyabbott.com.au (Wednesday, 17 March 2004)]
- I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they are both they both need to be moderated, so to speak.
- Panel discussion "Religion, Sex and Politics" on abc.com.au (19 March 2009)
- I know politicians are going to be judged on everything they say but sometimes in the heat of discussion you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark. The statements that need to be taken absolutely as gospel truth are those carefully prepared scripted remarks.
- We can’t conclusively say whether man-made carbon dioxide emissions are contributing to climate change
- I am, as you know, hugely unconvinced by the so-called settled science on climate change.
- It seems that, notwithstanding the dramatic increases in manmade CO2 emissions over the last decade, the world's warming has stopped.
- There is much to be said for an emissions trading scheme. It was, after all, the mechanism for emission reduction ultimately chosen by the Howard government.
- Abortion is the easy way out. It’s hardly surprising that people should choose the most convenient exit from awkward situations.
- I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... it [their virginity] is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
- While I think men and women are equal, they are also different and I think it's inevitable and I don't think it's a bad thing at all that we always have, say, more women doing things like physiotherapy and an enormous number of women simply doing housework
- The poor will always be with us
- Victory is within our ready grasp...We are in reach of a famous victory
- When you are challenging the young, they can come back at you with language of tremendous power and they are no respecters of sacred cows, you know, the young. There's nothing politically correct about the average young Australian when it comes to use of language.
- There are essentially two types of conservative: those who fear change and instinctively resist it, and those who respect the society that's made them and want the future to reflect the best aspects of the past.
- Battlelines (2009)
- WorkChoices is dead, it's buried, it's cremated.
- I want to make it clear that I do not judge or condemn any woman who has had an abortion, but every abortion is a tragedy and up to 100,000 abortions a year is this generation's legacy of unutterable shame.
- Abbott to parliament in 2005[specific citation needed]