Yoko Ono (オノ・ヨーコ Ono Yōko, kanji: 小野洋子) (born 18 February 1933) is a Japanese-American avant-garde artist and musician, famous for her marriage and collaborations with John Lennon as well as for her solo work.
- Y E S
- Statement made in "Ceiling Painting" an avant-garde artwork presented at the Indica Gallery, in which people had to climb a white ladder and use a magnifying glass to see what was printed on a tiny message on the ceiling : "Y E S". (November 1966) It was during this exhibition that John Lennon first became familiar with her work.
- A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.
- A line written by Ono many years before, and quoted by Lennon in December 1980, as quoted in All We Are Saying : The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono (2000) by John Lennon, Yōko Ono, David Sheff, p. 16
- I usually stay away from being carried away,
But one day I saw a silver horse.
I thought he might take me to that somewhere high,
I thought he might take me to that deep blue sky.
I came to realize that the horse had no wings.
No wings, well, it wasn't so bad, you know.
I learnt to travel the world around
And run on the ground in the morning.
And that's the story of a wandering soul,
A story of a dreamer.
- "Silver Horse" on Season of Glass (1981)
- Walking on thin ice, I'm paying the price.
I'm throwing the dice in the air.
Why must we learn it the hard way
And play the game of life with your heart?
- "Walking On Thin Ice" on Season of Glass (1981) - YouTube video
- I gave you my life, you gave me my life.
Like a gush of wind in my hair.
Why do we forget what's been said
And play the game of life with our hearts?
- "Walking On Thin Ice" on Season of Glass (1981)
- Never say goodbye,
You say tomorrow's another day,
All I know is we're here today.
I've got nightmares I could never share with you,
The kind that keeps me up all night.
So hold me tight till the room is light
And tell me that it's all right.
- "Never Say Goodbye" on It's Alright (I See Rainbows) (1982)
- I dedicate this light tower to John Lennon
my love for you is forever
October 9th 2007
- Dedication on the Imagine Peace Tower base (2007)
- If Lennon were alive today, he probably would have reconciled with the man he accused of having "made a fool of everyone." John would have been the first one now, if he had been there, to recognise and acknowledge what Maharishi has done for the world and appreciate it.
- Quoted from: Yoko Ono - Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, Guru to Beatles and Beach Boys died in The Netherlands, RollingStone magazine, 6 Mars 2008. 1047, 16, n°1047 
- John and I felt that we were like people in an H. G. Wells story. Two people who are walking so fast that nobody else can see them.
- In a day, sometimes I feel so much love for the world, I think my heart is bursting. Sometimes, I feel so scared, I want to shrink myself even further. I think that’s what happened to us gods and goddesses. Like the dinosaurs, we realized that it’s too dangerous to be so large. So we kept shrinking ourselves to what we are now. We might get even smaller. I see the sign in the engineers making smaller gadgets, smaller and smaller. Pretty soon, our fingers will be too large to operate them. So what are we doing? I trust in the human wisdom. We are incredibly intelligent beings. So we might know something without thinking that we know…. Well, even my best friend didn’t know until now that I was thinking of crazy things like this.
- 25 Things Even My Best Friends Didn’t Know Until Now (1 October 2009)
- There is a saying that a glass is half empty or half full, depending on how you look at it. Well, we all know that one. But we cannot just say, okay so half full is how we should look at things. No. We have to go even further in our observation and realize that the glass is actually 100 percent full: 50 percent with water and 50 percent with air.
- I thank Pussy Riot for standing firmly in their belief for Freedom of Expression, and making all women of the world proud to be women.
- Don't ever give up on life. Life can be so beautiful, especially after you've spent a lot of time with it.
- 9 June 2009
- Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison.
- 29 August 2009
- If your judgement is clouded, you must be carrying too many things which are being a burden to you.
- 9 October 2009
- Remember, each one of us has the power to change the world.
Power works in mysterious ways. You don’t have to do much. Visualise the domino effect And just start thinking PEACE.
The message will circulate faster than you think. It’s Time For Action. The Action is PEACE. Spread the word. Spread PEACE. I love you!
- 9 October 2009
- The opposite of love is fear, not hate.
- 2 July 2010
Quotes about Ono
- That's part of our policy, is not to be taken seriously, because I think our opposition, whoever they may be, in all their manifest forms, don't know how to handle humor. You know, and we are humorous, we are, what are they, Laurel and Hardy. That's John and Yoko, and we stand a better chance under that guise, because all the serious people, like Martin Luther King, and Kennedy, and Gandhi, got shot.
- John Lennon, as quoted in a BBC interview with David Wigg (8 May 1969)
- Woman, please let me explain
I never meant to cause you sorrow or pain
So let me tell you again and again and again...
I love you
Now and forever.
- I learned everything from her. ... It is a teacher-pupil relationship. That's what people don't understand. She's the teacher and I'm the pupil. I'm the famous one, the one who's supposed to know everything, but she's my teacher. She's taught me everything I fucking know.
- Official website
- 100 Acorns - Yoko Ono's blog
- 33, 2007 Interview with Yoko Ono for Japanzine
- Instant Karma
- Yoko Ono fluxus debris!
- ::: ONOWEB: an international network of info and original projects about Yoko from our contributors
- AIU: A Yoko Ono Box An extensive unofficial Yoko Ono Site
- LennOno Online News, an extensive unofficial Lennon/Ono Site
- ~ ONOVOX: spam-free discussion listserv with commented daily Yoko news.
- Yoko Ono at the Internet Movie Database
- "Yoko Ono Makes Old Song Gay Friendly", Associated Press (8 July 2004)
- Yoko Ono's Snow review by Tom Johnson (7 February 1977)
- 1995 Interview with Yoko Ono
- A conversation about the Hare Krsna mantra between Srila Prabhupada and John Lennon, Yoko Ono, and George Harrison, 1969
- Nippop Profile Yoko Ono
- Photograph of John Lennon's Bloodied Spectacles
- "The Dakota to The Roxy and Back", interview in Gay City News Volume 1, Issue 16, (13 - 19 September 2002)
- YES YOKO ONO
- Absolute Elsewhere: The Spirit of John Lennon
- An Interview with Yoko Ono: Yoko Turns 70
- "Grapefruit" Exhibition of Yoko Ono's "Instruction Paintings" at the Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive
- Ono Performs Cut Piece at Carnegie Hall in 1965
- Yoko Ono Performs Cut Piece in Paris, 2003
- Memories of John Lennon deconstructed and contrasted with six other John Lennon biographies
- 2006 Interview with Yoko Ono
- Yoko Ono on Democracy Now!
- "Blueprint For A Reprise - Interview with Yoko Ono"
- Imagine Peace
- YouTube channel
- Imagine Peace Tower
- John Lennon & Yoko Ono: WAR IS OVER! (If You Want It)