'Twas the Night Before Christmas (1974 TV special)
'Twas the Night Before Christmas is a 1974 animated Christmas television special produced by Rankin/Bass Productions and based on the famous 1823 poem that opens with this line. In the show, when a town learns that Santa Claus has struck it off his delivery schedule due to an insulting letter, a way must be found to change his mind. The special first originally aired on CBS on December 8, 1974 where it aired annually until 1994, when The Family Channel (now Freeform) took over its syndication rights.
- [singing] So you hope, and I'll hurry;
You pray, and I'll plan.
We'll do what's necessary
'cause even a miracle needs a hand.
- Town Clerk: A citizen to see you Mr. Mayor.
- The Mayor: Citizen? They're not allowed in here. This is public property.
- Father Mouse: [seeing Albert crying] What is it?
- Albert: My fault... all my fault... I've ruined everyone's Christmas.
- Father Mouse: I know. I know you wrote the letter, Albert. You told us so, and that was honest of you, but as you said, it was your opinion.
- Albert: No, that isn't it. Something else.
- Father Mouse: What else?
- Albert: Mister... Mr. Trundle's clock, at the village hall. I... I wanted to see how it worked, so I climbed into it and...
- Father Mouse: Kerplunk?
- Albert: Kerplooie...
- Father Mouse: You broke the clock!?
- Albert: I... I didn't mean it, Father. I'm sorry... so sorry...
- Father Mouse: It's not enough to be sorry. When you've done something wrong, you have to correct the thing you did.
- Albert: That's it! That's it, Father. I'll fix the clock by midnight, then maybe Santa will...
- Father Mouse: You believe in Santa?
- Albert: I don't know. I don't know, but I've learned that I still got a lot to learn.
- Father Mouse: But son, you don't know how to fix a clock.
- Albert: That's all right, Father. Copernicus knew.
- Father Mouse: Merry Christmas, Mr. Trundle.
- Mr. Trundle: Not very merry, I'm afraid.
- Father Mouse: You were right, of course. And it's my fault, my family's.
- Joshua: How so?
- Father Mouse: My older boy, Albert. First, he insulted Santa, and then... I can hardly say it.
- Joshua: Go on.
- Father Mouse: I'm afraid he got into your clock to see how it worked, and then...
- Joshua: Kerplunk.
- Father Mouse: Kerplooie.
- Joshua: So... that was it.
- Father Mouse: The boy has repented. He's trying to make amends right now.
- George Gobel - Father Mouse
- Joel Grey - Joshua Trundle
- Tammy Grimes - Albert
- John McGiver - the Mayor of Junctionville