10 Things I Hate About You
Jump to navigation Jump to search
How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways. (Taglines)
10 Things I Hate About You is a 1999 film about a pretty, popular teenager who can't go out on a date until her ill-tempered older sister does. The film parallels Shakespeare's comedy, The Taming of the Shrew, set in a modern-day high school.
Katarina "Kat" Stratford
- Remove head from sphincter, then drive!
- I hate the way you talk to me, and the way you cut your hair.
I hate the way you drive my car, I hate it when you stare.
I hate your big, dumb combat boots and the way you read my mind.
I hate you so much it makes me sick — It even makes me rhyme.
I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie.
I hate it when you make me laugh — Even worse when you make me cry.
I hate it when you're not around. And the fact that you didn't call.
But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you — Not even close, not even a little bit, not even at all.
Dr. Walter Stratford
- No drinking, no drugs, no kissing, no tattoos, no piercings, no ritualistic animal slaughters of any kind. Oh, God, I'm giving them ideas.
- What is it with this chick? She got beer flavored nipples?
- It's not everyday you find a girl who'll flash someone to get you out of detention.
- You're asking me out? That's so cute! What's your name again?
- I happen to like being adored, thank you.
- Bianca: You know, there's a difference between like and love. I mean, I like my Sketchers but I love my Prada backpack.
- Chastity: But I love my Sketchers.
- Bianca: That's because you don't have a Prada backpack.
- Chastity: Oh.
- Dr. Stratford: This morning I delivered a set of twins to a fifteen-year-old girl, and you know what she said to me?
- Bianca: "I'm a crack-whore who should have made my skeezy boyfriend wear a condom"?
- Dr. Stratford: Close...but no. She said, "I should have listened to my father."
- Bianca: She did not!
- Dr. Stratford: Well, that's what she would have said if she wasn't so doped up.
- Patrick: I was in the laundromat, I saw your car and came over to say hi!
- Kat: Hi!
- Patrick: Not much of talker are you?
- Kat: Depends on the topic! My fenders don't whip me into a verbal frenzy!
- Patrick: You're not afraid of me are you?
- Kat: Afraid of you? Why would I be afraid of you?
- Patrick: Some people are.
- Kat: Well I'm not.
- Patrick: You may not be afraid of me but I'll bet you've thought of me naked, huh?
- Kat: Am I that transparent? I want you, I needyou. Oh baby, oh baby.
- Bianca: Where did you come from? Planet Loser?
- Kat: As opposed to Planet Look-at-Me, Look-at-Me?
- Dr. Stratford: [claps] Ok, here's how we solve this one: Old rule out. New rule: Bianca can date [Bianca smiles, Kat with a shocked face] when she does. [points at Kat]
- Bianca: But she's a mutant! What if she never dates?
- Dr. Stratford: Then you'll never date. Oh I like that. And I'll get to sleep at night, the deep slumber of a father whose daughters aren't out being impregnated.
- Cameron: She never wanted me. She wanted Joey the whole time.
- Patrick: Cameron, do you like the girl?
- Cameron: Yeah.
- Patrick: Yeah, and is she worth all this trouble?
- Cameron: Well, I thought she was, but you know, I...
- Patrick: Well, she is or she isn't. See first of all, Joey is not half the man you are. Secondly, don't let anyone ever make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. Go for it.
- Dr. Stratford: Hello Katarina. Make anybody cry today?
- Kat: Sadly no, but it's only 4:30.
- Patrick: Someone still has her panties in a twist.
- Kat: Don't, for one minute, think that you had any effect whatsoever on my panties.
- Patrick: Then what did I have an effect on?
- Kat: Other than my upchuck reflex? Nothing.
- Bianca: Ah-ha! [pulls out black underwear] Black panties!
- Cameron: Well, what does that tell us?
- Bianca: She wants to have sex some day, that's what!
- Cameron: You know she could just like the color!
- Bianca: You don't buy black lingerie unless you want someone to see it!
- Cameron: So um... Can I see your room?
- Bianca: No! A girl's room is very personal!
- Kat: Argh! What is it: Asshole day? [As Joey walks away after blocking Kat's car in] Do you mind?
- Joey: [smirking as he walks past] Not at all!
- [Kat rams her car into the side of Joey's sports car]
- Joey: You bitch!
- Kat: Whoops!
- Dr. Stratford: Whoops? My insurance does not cover PMS!
- Kat: Well, then tell them I had a seizure!
- Dr. Stratford: [sighs] Is this about Sarah Lawrence? Are you punishing me because I want you to stay close to home?
- Kat: Aren't you punishing me because Mom left?
- Dr. Stratford: Do you think you could leave her out of it?
- Kat: Fine! Then stop making my decisions for me!
- Dr. Stratford: You're 18! You don't know what you want! And you won't know what you want until you're 43, and even if you get it you'll be too old to use it!
- Kat: I want to go to an East Coast School! I want you to trust me to make my own choices and I want you stop trying to control my life just because you can't control yours!
- Dr. Stratford: Yeah? Well I want...[pager goes off] Damn! We'll talk about Sarah Lawrence later!
- Kat: Can't wait!
- Bianca: [runs down the stairs with the phone in her hand] Did you just maim Joey's car?
- Kat: Yeah! Looks like you're gonna have to take the bus!
- Mr. Morgan: [after reading a Shakespearean sonnet] Now, I know Shakespeare's a dead white guy, but he knows his shit, so we can overlook that. I want you all to write your own version of this sonnet.
- [Kat raises her hand in the background]
- Mr. Morgan: Yes, Miss "I-Have-An-Opinion-About-Everything"?
- Kat: Do you want this in iambic pentameter?
- Mr. Morgan: [stares at Kat] You're not going to fight me on this?
- Kat: No, I think it's a really good assignment.
- Mr. Morgan: [chuckles] You're just messing with me aren't you.
- Kat: No, I'm really looking forward to writing it.
- Mr. Morgan: Get out of my class.
- Ms. Perky: People perceive you as somewhat...
- Kat: Tempestuous?
- Ms. Perky: "Heinous bitch" is the term used most often.
- Kat: [about the Prom] Who would go to that antiquated mating ritual?
- Mandella: I would! But I don't have a date!
- Kat: Do you really want to get all dressed up so some Drakkar Noir wearing Dexter with a boner can feel you up, all while you're forced to listen to a band that, by definition, blows?
- Mandella: All right, all right, we won't go. It's not like I have a dress anyway.
- Kat: You're looking at this from entirely the wrong perspective! We're making a statement!
- Mandella: [mockingly] Oh goody! Something new and different for us!
- Dr. Stratford: [Bianca and Chastity are sneaking past Bianca's father] Shoulda used the window!
- Bianca: Hi Daddy!
- Dr. Stratford: Hi... where're we going?
- Bianca: Well, if you must know... a small study group of friends.
- Dr. Stratford: Otherwise known as an orgy?
- Chastity: Mr Stratford, it's just a party!
- Dr. Stratford: And hell is just a sauna.
- Patrick: So what's your excuse?
- Kat: For?
- Patrick: Acting the way we do.
- Kat: I don't like to do what people expect. Why should I live up to other people's expectations instead of my own?
- Patrick: So you disappoint them from the start and then you're covered, right?
- Kat: [smiles] Something like that…
- Patrick: Then you screwed up.
- Kat: How?
- Patrick: You never disappointed me.
- Patrick: You're right. She's still pissed.
- Michael: Sweet love, renew thy force!
- Patrick: Hey, man! Don't say shit like that to me. People can hear you.
- Cameron: Look. you embarrassed the girl. Sacrifice yourself on the alter of dignity and even the score.
- [Patrick walks off]
- Michael: Listen. Don't say shit like that to him. People can hear you.
- Dr. Stratford: Do you know what happens at proms?
- Bianca: Yes. We'll dance, we'll kiss, we'll come home. It's not quite the crisis situation you imagine.
- Dr. Stratford: Kissing? That's what you think happens? I've got news for you. Kissing isn't what keeps me up to my elbows in placenta all day long.
- Bianca: Can we, for two seconds, ignore the fact that you're severely unhinged and discuss my need for a night of teenage normalcy?
- Dr. Stratford: What's normal? Those damn... Dawson's river kids sleeping in each other's beds and what not?
- Bianca: Daddy that is so not...
- Dr. Stratford: I've got news for you. I'm down, I've got the 411, and you are not going out and getting jiggy with some boy, I don't care how dope his ride is. Mamma didn't raise no fool.
- Patrick: None of that stuff is true.
- Kat: State trooper?
- Patrick: Fallacy. Uh, Dead guy in the parking lot?
- Kat: Rumor. The Duck?
- Patrick: Hearsay. Bobby Ridgeway's balls?
- Kat: Fact. But he deserved it. He tried to grope me in the lunch line.
- Patrick: Fair enough.
- Kat: The accent?
- Patrick: It's real. I lived in Australia until I was 10.
- Kat: With the Pygmies?
- Patrick: Close. With my mom.
- Kat: Where were you last year? I know the porn career's a lie.
- Patrick: Do you?
- [Both laugh]
- [Bianca punches Joey in the nose]
- Joey: Shit Bianca! I'm shooting a nose spray ad tomorrow!
- Bianca: That's for making my date bleed, [punches him again] That's for my sister, [knees him in crotch] and that's for me!
- Patrick: [while dancing] Milwaukee.
- Kat: What?
- Patrick: That's where I was last year. I wasn't in jail, I don't know Marilyn Manson, and I didn’t sleep with a Spice Girl--I don’t think. You see, my grandpa, he was ill, so I spent most of the year on his couch watching Wheel of Fortune and making Spaghettios. End of story
- Kat: [laughs] No way!
- Dr. Stratford: Where's your sister going?
- Kat: She's meeting some bikers. Big ones. Full of sperm.
- Dr. Stratford: Funny. [a little curious] So, tell me about this dance, was it hoppin'?
- Kat: Ugh. Parts of it.
- Dr. Stratford: Which parts?
- Kat: [laughingly] The part where Bianca beat the hell out of some guy.
- Dr. Stratford: Bianca did what?
- Kat: What's the matter, upset that I rubbed off on her?
- Dr. Stratford: [proud] No, impressed.
- Dr. Stratford: You know fathers don't like to admit it when their daughters are capable of running their own lives. It means we've become spectators. Bianca still let's me play a few innings - you've had me on the bench for years. When you go to Sarah Lawrence, I won't even be able to watch the game.
- Kat: When I go?
- Dr. Stratford: Oh, boy. Don't tell me you changed your mind. I already sent 'em a check.
- [Kat gasps in surprise, then hugs her father]
- Patrick: Some asshole paid me to take out this really great girl.
- Kat: Is that right?
- Patrick: Yeah, but I screwed up. I, um, I fell for her.
- Kat: You can't just buy me a guitar every time you screw up, you know.
- Patrick: Yeah, I know. But then, you know, there's always drums and bass and maybe even one day a tambourine.
- How do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways.
- Allusion to Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Sonnets from the Portuguese, No. LXIII:
- "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways."
- I burn, I pine, I perish!
- Romeo, Oh Romeo, Get Out Of My Face.
- They're spitefully romantic.
- Heath Ledger - Patrick Verona
- Julia Stiles - Kat Stratford
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt - Cameron James
- Larisa Oleynik - Bianca Stratford
- Larry Miller - Dr. Walter Stratford
- David Krumholtz - Michael
- Andrew Keegan - Joey Donner
- Gabrielle Union - Chastity
- Daryl Mitchell - Mr. Morgan
- Allison Janney - Ms. Perky
- David Leisure - Mr. Chapin