(Redirected from 72 Virgins)
- The martyr gets..rewards from Allah. From the first drop of his blood, he is pardoned. He sees his place in Paradise. He is spared the torments of the grave...He is wedded...to seventy-two black-eyed women.
- Kuwaiti Cleric Ahmad Qattan on the Rewards of the Martyr in Paradise (22 January 2008).
- “Verily for the Righteous there will be a fulfilment of (the heart's) desires;”[78:31 (Yusuf Ali)] “Gardens enclosed, and grapevines;”[78:32 (Yusuf Ali)] “And voluptuous women of equal age.”[Quran 78:33 (Yusuf Ali)]
- Chapter 78 of the Quran: "The Tidings".
- It is true that simple-minded religious men have conceived their goal as a state of continued existence beyond the grave filled with all happy things and experiences. But plainly such happy things and experiences were no more than symbolic, and the happy heavens containing such things have the character of myth. To the human mind, fast fettered by the limits of its poor imagination, they stand for and represent the goal. One cannot conceive the inconceivable. So in place of it one puts whatever one can imagine of delight; wine and houris if one's imagination is limited to these; love, kindness, sweetness of spiritual living if one is of a less materialistic temper. But were these existences and delights, material or spiritual, to be actually found and enjoyed as present, they would be condemned by the saint along with all earthly joys. For they would have upon them the curse, the darkness, the disease, of all existent things, of all that is this or that. This is why we cannot conceive of any particular pleasure, happiness, joy, which would not cloy - which to be quite frank - would not in the end be boring.