A. J. Cronin
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Life is no straight and easy corridor along which we travel free and unhampered, but a maze of passages, through which we must seek our way, lost and confused, now and again checked in a blind alley.
But always, if we have faith, a door will open for us, not perhaps one that we ourselves would ever have thought of, but one that will ultimately prove good for us.
- As quoted in Knight's Treasury of Illustrations (1956), p. 149
- Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, but only saps today of its strength.
- As quoted in Today's Gift : Daily Meditations for Families (1985) by Hazelden Publishing, p. 11
The Citadel (1937)
- You are extraordinarily attractive to women. And your greatest charm is that you do not realise it.
- Paraphrased variant: You are very attractive. And your greatest charm is that you do not realise it!
The Keys of the Kingdom (1941)
- Some temptations cannot be fought. One must close one's mind and fly from them.
- p. 90
- Even if my country remains at war with yours . . . remember ... I am not your enemy.
- p. 281