A Better Tomorrow
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Brothers by blood. Enemies by chance. Killers by nature.(taglines)
A Better Tomorrow is a 1986 Hong Kong crime film about a reforming ex-gangster who tries to reconcile with his estranged policeman brother, but finds that the ties to his former gang are difficult to break.
- Directed by John Woo. Written by Chan Hing-Ka, Leung Suk-Wah, and John Woo.
- Kit, you're right. We live in separate worlds. Your world is a better place...I may have taken the wrong path, but I am willing to make things right again, for it is not too late.
- Kid, don't point the gun at my head! If you have the guts, shoot me!!
- That's enough!!! I don't need your pity!!...You don't owe me anything! I would never force my own friends to do something they wouldn't do! I have my own regulations! I just don't want to live like this anymore!!...Do you think I like to beg!?...I've been in bad shape for three years, waiting for this opportunity! This is my only chance, not to prove that I'm the best, but to simply take back what I have lost!!!...Look at yourself. Look at what you've become!!...Back then, people rejected you! Now you can't even take two steps without someone following you!!! Have you ever fought for a chance? You never have. Never!!!...I don't want to be like you...
- Ho Tse Sung: Do you believe there's a God?
- Mark Gor: Yes. I am God. You're one. A god can be human. A god is someone who controls his destiny. Sometimes, there's things you can't control. You win some, you lose some.
- Ho Tse Sung: Kit...
- Tse-Kit Sung: Don't ever call me Kit again! You will adress me as "Officer!"
- Ho Tse Sung: Officer... I'm no longer the Big Boss. I haven't the Big Boss for a long time.
- Mark Gor: You think learning will help you? Don't think reading gangster books will make you the boss. Have you ever had a gun pointed at your head? No. Twelve years ago... twelve years already. For the first time, I went with Ho to bring goods to Indonesia. The boss there treated us to dinner in the night club. I said something wrong to displease the boss. Then there were two guns pointed at my head. I was forced to dring a bottle of whisky. I was so scared, I pissed my pants! Fortunately, Ho drank the whole bottle of whisky for me. But it got even worse after that. Four guns were pointed at my head! You know they made me drink? Piss! Drink piss in a night club! You want to learn? That's learning! That's how we got through out first job.
- Ho Tse Sung: That's all in the past. Forget about it.
- Mark Gor: No! I have never cried before; that was the first time I cried. I swore I'd never let anyone point a gun at my head again!
- The movie that began it all.........
- Brothers by blood. Enemies by chance. Killers by nature.
- Ti Lung - Sung Tse-Ho
- Leslie Cheung - Sung Tse-Kit
- Chow Yun-fat - Mark Lee
- Emily Chu - Jackie, the girlfriend of Kit
- Waise Lee - Shing
- Shing Fui-On - Shing's right-hand man
- Kenneth Tsang - Ken, the leader of the taxi company Ho joins
- Tien Feng - the father of Ho and Kit
- John Woo - Taiwanese police chief
- Tsui Hark - a music judge (cameo)