A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999 film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- I have had a most rare vision.
I have had a dream.
Past the wit of man to say what dream it was.
Man is but an ass if he go about to expound this dream.
Methought I was...
There's no man can tell what.
Methought I was...
Methought I had...
Man is but a patched fool is he will offer to say what I had.
- Come, my lord, and in our flight.
Tell me how it came this night.
That I sleeping here was found.
With these mortals on the ground.
- Up and down, up and down,
I will lead them up and down.
I am feared in field and town.
Goblin lead them up and down.
- [last lines] If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumber'd here.
While these visions did appear.
And this weak and idle theme,
No more yielding but a dream,
Gentles, do not reprehend:
If you pardon we will mend.
Else the Puck a liar call.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.
- [repeated line] Oh, spite. Oh, hell.
- I am your spaniel. And Demetrius, the more you beat me, I will fawn on you. Use me - but as your spaniel. Spurn me, strike me, neglect me, lose me, but give me leave, unworthy as I am, to follow you.
- The course of true love never did run smooth.
- Merry and tragical? Tedious and brief? That is hot ice and wondrous strange snow.
- No epilogue, I pray you, for your play needs no excuse. Never excuse, for when the players are all dead, there need none to be blamed.
- Nick Bottom: Since lion vile hath here deflowered my dear...
- Peter Quince: DEVOURED.
- Theseus: The iron tongue of midnight hath told twelve: Lovers, to bed; 'tis almost fairy time.
- Oberon: Now, until the break of day.
Through this house each fairy stray.
To the best bride-bed will we,
Which by us shall blessed be;
So shall all the couples three.
Ever true in loving be;
And the owner of it blest.
Ever shall in safety rest.
Trip away; make no stay;
Meet me all by break of day.
- Tom Snout: [Puck has turned Bottom into a Donkey] Bottom, thou art changed. What do I see on thee?
- Nick Bottom: What do you see? What; do you see an ass' head of your own, do you?
- Peter Quince: [backing away] Bless me. Thou art translated.
- [all run off, leaving Bottom alone on the stage]
- Nick Bottom: Why do they run away? I see their knavery. This is to make an ass of me.
- Hold on to Your Heart. Cupid is Armed and Dangerous.
- Love makes fools of us all.
- Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind; and therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
- Get to the Bottom of Love.
- Kevin Kline - Nick Bottom
- Michelle Pfeiffer - Titania
- Rupert Everett - Oberon
- Stanley Tucci - Puck
- Calista Flockhart - Helena
- Anna Friel - Hermia
- Christian Bale - Demetrius
- Dominic West - Lysander
- David Strathairn - Theseus
- Sophie Marceau - Hippolyta
- Roger Rees - Peter Quince
- Max Wright - Robin Starveling
- Gregory Jbara - Snug
- Bill Irwin - Tom Snout
- Sam Rockwell - Francis Flute
- Bernard Hill - Egeus
- John Sessions - Philostrate