Abbotsford, British Columbia
Abbotsford is a city located in British Columbia, adjacent to the Canada–United States border, Greater Vancouver and the Fraser River. With an estimated population of 141,397 people it is the largest municipality in the province outside Metro Vancouver.
- Water levels are rising very quickly. Residents are being asked to evacuate immediately
- Abbotsford Police Department on social media Immediate evacuation order for Sumas Prairie due to landslide in Abbotsford (November 16, 2021)
- We didn’t want to alarm the whole city. It was our decision not to activate the provincial Alert Ready system for the whole city of 162,000 people at that time as we wanted to directly contact the 300 people who live in Sumas Prairie.
- Abbotsford Mayor Henry Braun VANCOUVER News Misinformation rampant as B.C. public safety minister downplays alert system used everywhere else in Canada (november 17, 2021)
- I think it's between six and 12 [homes]
- I sense you're looking for numbers, so I don't want someone to think it's 50 houses. One house is too much. And if it were my house, I'd be concerned, too. But there are not many options here.
- Mayor Henry Braun Abbotsford, B.C., homes will need to be destroyed to construct dike, mayor says (November 18, 2021)
- As you know 600 people have been evacuated from Sumas Prairie
- The water is still coming in
- Mayor Braun and City Emergency Officials November 18 4PM Press Conference (November 18, 2021) Youtube video
- If you are looking to protect your property right now, sand and sandbags are available at both Albert Dyck Park and Yarrow Hardware
- And as always, check on your neighbours — we’re in it for the long haul and we hope to be in the best position possible with the weather events to come.
- Mayor Henry Braun Abbotsford, B.C. strengthening infrastructure, bracing for next atmospheric river (November 23, 2021)
- B.C.'s Ministry of Transportation has closed Highway 1 between Abbotsford and Chilliwack as of 5 p.m. Nov. 28.
- Highway 1 closed again between Abbotsford and Chilliwack (November 28, 2021)