Jump to navigation Jump to search
About Schmidt is a 2002 drama film about Warren R. Schmidt (Jack Nicholson) who retires in the beginning of the movie. When his wife dies he goes out on a long journey.
- Directed by Alexander Payne, based on the novel by Louis Begley.
- 1 Schmidt Happens.
- 2 Warren Schmidt
- 3 Sister Nadine
- 4 Roberta Hertzel
- 5 Dialogue
- 6 Cast
- 7 External Links
- Relatively soon, I will die. Maybe in 20 years, maybe tomorrow, it doesn't matter. Once I am dead and everyone who knew me dies too, it will be as though I never existed. What difference has my life made to anyone. None that I can think of. None at all.
- I know we're all pretty small in the big scheme of things, and I suppose the most you can hope for is to make some kind of difference, but what kind of difference have I made? What in the world is better because of me?
- Well Ndugu, I'll close now. You probably can't wait to run and cash this check and get yourself something to eat.
- Helen, what did you really think of me, deep in your heart? Was I really the man you wanted to be with? Was I? Or were you disappointed and too nice to show it? I forgive you for Ray. I forgive you. That was a long time ago, and I know I wasn't always the king of kings. I let you down. I'm sorry, Helen. Can you forgive me? Can you forgive me?
- One of the children I care for is little Ndugu Umu, the boy you sponsor. Ndugu is a very intellegent boy, and very loving. He is an orphan. Recently he needed medical attention for an infection of the eye, but he's better now. He loves to eat melon, and he loves to paint. Ndugu and I want you to know that he recieves all of your letters. He hopes that you are happy in your life, and healthy. He thinks of you every day and he wants very much your happiness.
- People used to think it was strange 'cause I breast-fed him 'til he was almost five, but I say - hunh, just look at the results!
- Warren Schmidt: You're making a big mistake, don't marry this guy, don't do it.
- Jeannie Schmidt: What are you talking about?
- Warren Schmidt: The other night I had a dream and it was very real. Your mother was there and you were there and your aunt Estelle. And there was a... well, it wasn't really a spaceship, it was more like a blimp or an orb of some kind. And then a bunch of weird creatures came out and started trying to take you away, and you wanna know what? They all looked like Randall. Do you understand? And I was jumping up and down to save you.
- Larry Hertzel: All I was doing was welcoming somebody into the family.
- Roberta Hertzel: Larry, we've been welcomed by you, thank you so much, now would you please just drink your fucking milk and shut the fuck up.
- Jack Nicholson - Warren R. Schmidt
- Kathy Bates - Roberta Hertzel
- Hope Davis - Jeannie Schmidt
- Dermot Mulroney - Randall Hertzel
- June Squibb - Helen Schmidt
- Howard Hesseman - Larry Hertzel
- Harry Groener - John Rusk
- Connie Ray - Vicki Rusk
- Len Cariou - Ray Nichols
- Phil Reeves - Minister in Denver