Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (film)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a 2012 American action, fantasy, and horror film based on the 2010 mashup novel of the same name. Benjamin Walker stars as the title character. The real-life figure Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States (1861–1865), is portrayed in the novel and the film as having a secret identity as a vampire hunter. The film was directed and co-produced by Timur Bekmambetov, along with Tim Burton. The novel's author, Seth Grahame-Smith, wrote the adapted screenplay.
- (journal entry) For what ever else I am, a husband, a lawyer... a president... I shall always think of myself as a man who struggle against the darkness.
- (journal entry) I leave in your trusted hands, my dear friend Henry... this record that begins when I was just a boy.
- (journal entry) Mama once told me that I hadn't cried when I was born. That I'd simply opened my eyes... looked at her smiling face and smiled back.
- I hate that we were afraid.
- I was a rail splitter.
- (journal entry) In the weeks that followed, Henry endeavored to impart a life time of vampire hunting secrets: their ability to adapt in sunlight, their power to render themselves invisible. But most of all, he taught me how to destroy them.
- I had killed a monster. And I would kill again. But no amount of death could make me forget.
- (journal entry) Henry sent me off into the world with a reminder. No distractions, no attachments. No friends or family. Besides, who could I trust. Anyone in this well-mannered city might very well be one of them.
- (journal entry) Henry only saw the struggle his way. But I began at last to see it another, to see and to feel the even greater issues at stake. So he and I would go our separate ways. As the Bible says, "A time had come for me to put aside such childish things." I would fight not with an ax, but with words and ideals. For a time, they proved a stronger weapon.
- Thank you, Henry. I suppose...some vampires can be trusted.
- A wise man once told me, "Always have an contingency plan."
- (journal entry) History prefers legends to men. It prefers nobility to brutality, soaring speeches to quiet deeds. History remembers the battle, but forgets the blood. However history remembers me (if it remembers me, at all) it shall only remember a fraction of the truth.
Mary Todd Lincoln
- Mr. Lincoln, you are full of surprises.
- Well, I see I'm such interesting company.
- I wouldn't back down from what's right because it was hard.
- Abe, I know when you're lying.
- You have to win this war. If you don't, than all of it.. then our son's death will have been for nothing.
- My father used to say: plant your feet and stand firm. The only question is where to put your feet.
- Lincoln! We'll be late for the theater!
- (to a drunk Lincoln) Haven't you had enough?... A boy only gets this drunk when he wants to kiss a girl... or kill a man.
- Power, Lincoln... real power... comes not from hate, but from truth.
- I give you the targets. That was our deal.
- My services are not for sale.
- If vengence is all you seek... seek it elsewhere.
- (about the weapons) So, Abe... which one takes your fancy?
- (present day) A man only drinks like that when he's planning to kiss a girl or kill a man. Which is it?
- We talk about Vampires as they exist only in legends.But no Mr. Lincoln,vampires do exists in reality in every city in every state of the Union.
- I need a writ, Abe, saying I was born free.
- You're far too kind, Miss Todd. (re: Abe) And he's far too ugly to have a woman like you.
- (to his ex-associate) I ever see you here again, I'll have your balls for a coin purse!
- A friend in need is a friend of Speed.
- To hell with work. We got invited to a ball.
- (about the party at the plantation) Somethin'-somethin's not right about this, Abe.
- (as the vampires jump on the train) Well, that's according to plan.
- (to Henry after bitting his wife) Her soul was pure.
- This war ends tonight... And with it... our millenia of darkenss.
- It's time we had a nation of our own.
- (sinisterly) There are other ways to collect a debt.
- (about Lincoln's missed shot) That was unlucky. Might have put me out of my misery.
- There are two kinds of man, Mr. Lincoln. Those that have the guts to pull the trigger... and those who do not.
- Powder, patch, ball. Don't mess it up.
- (to Lincoln) I hope you're better with an axe than you were with a gun.
- Thomas Lincoln: (to his son about the slave traders) Look away, Abraham. It's not our place. Look away.
- Harriet Tubman: People getting killed and slave disappearin'. Some people talk about monsters and demons.
- Senator Nolan: (to Lincoln, about politics) I can connect you with the right people.
- Henry's Wife: Just because the carriage stops... doesn't mean we have to.
- Abraham: Vampires are just myths.
- Sturges: Myths don't beat you senseless after you've put a bullet in their brain.
- Abraham: My mother was murdered.
- Sturges: And if I teach you how to murder her murderer... so what? How will that honor her memory? How will that benefit the next boy whose mother is taken?
- Mary: It's called a dance. If we were meant to sit down, they would've called it something else.
- Abraham: Yes, I suppose they would have.
- Mary: Come, Mr. Lincoln. You'll ruin the upholstery if you sit there any longer.
- Abraham: Do you really want to know the truth, Mary?... Each and every night, I go out... hunting vampires.
- Mary: Well, how do you hunt these vampires?
- Abraham: With an axe... a special silver axe, of course.
- Abraham: I have done everything you've asked me. Every letter, every name... but never the letter I wait for and never the name I want most... when do I get to kill Jack Barts?
- Sturges: (presenting Lincoln with a silver pocket watch) Barts knows about Mary. It's time.
- Sturges: You weren't ready to know.
- Abraham: What, that you were a vampire?!?
- Sturges: You're not the only one... who has lost everything to vampires.
- Mary: Abe, what are you hiding from me?
- Abraham: (as he digs in his pockets) Alright. I didn't want to tell you this way. This is not the way that I planned it. But if you really must know... (holds up a ring) Mary Todd... will you make me the happiest of men?
- Abraham: (as they ride up to the deserted plantation) There are no slaves... Where are they?
- Speed: I was just wondering that.
- Adam: (reading the paper about the headless bodies) This hunter is another of Henry's disciples?
- Vadoma: They say he is a madman.
- Adam: I can't wait to meet him.
- Sturges (angrily) You cannot take on slavery, Abraham! You cannot take on the whole south!
- Lincoln: Why?! Because of Adam?
- Sturges: No!
- Abraham: Are you afraid of him?
- Sturges: Because it is the only thing that has kept them sated all these years... and you take that away and no one is safe!
- Adam: Go up river. Invite this Mr. Lincoln to join us at the plantation. We're gonna throw a ball in his honor.
- Vadoma:What makes you think he'll accept?
- Adam: I think we can find a way to tempt him.
- Abraham: (after they escape from the train) Thank you, Henry. I suppose some vampires can be trusted.
- Sturges: (panting) As can some men, Abraham... If the train was a decoy... where is the silver?
- Will: This isn't the only railroad.
- Vadoma: (seeing people on the road) What's this?
- Adam: They're fleeing the nest. Leaving Washington free for us.
- Abraham: (sadly) I'm sorry, Mary. I'm sorry I've kept you in the dark all these years... I need you, Mary.
- Mary: I've waited a long time to hear you say those words.
- Abraham: Will! Speed! This! This is what we need! (holding the fork)
- Will: A fork...
- Abraham: Silver.
- Benjamin Walker - Abraham Lincoln
- Dominic Cooper - Henry Sturges
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead - Mary Todd Lincoln
- Anthony Mackie - William Johnson
- Jimmi Simpson - Joshua Speed
- Rufus Sewell - Adam
- Marton Csokas - Jack Barts
- Erin Wasson - Vadoma
- Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter quotes at the Internet Movie Database