Aguirre, the Wrath of God
- Directed and written by Werner Herzog.
Don Lope de Aguirre
- That man is a head taller than me. That may change.
- I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the Wrath of God. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches. But whoever deserts...
- When we reach the sea, we will build a bigger ship, and sail north to take Trinidad from the Spanish crown. From there we'll sail on and take Mexico from Cortes. What great treachery that will be! Then all of New Spain will be ours, and we'll produce history as others produce plays. I, the Wrath of God, will marry my own daughter and with her I will found the purest dynasty the world has ever seen. Together, we shall rule this entire continent. We shall endure. I am the Wrath of God! Who else is with me?
- [Hallucinating] That is no ship. That is no forest. [Arrow hits him] That is no arrow. We just imagine the arrows because we fear them.
- Aguirre: Perucho, don't you think the cannon might be a little bit rusty?
- Perucho: It might.
- Don Fernando de Guzman: All the land to our left and all the land to our right now belongs to us. I solemnly and formally take possession of all this land. Our country is already six times larger than Spain, and everyday we drift makes it bigger.
- Aguirre: Have you seen any solid ground that would support your weight?
- Gaspar: Has this heathen heard of our Saviour, Jesus Christ and of our mission and the True Word of God? This is a Bible. It contains the Word of God that we are bringing to lighten the darkness of their world. Has he understood that this Book contains the Word of God? Take it in your hand, my son.
- Interpreter: He says it doesn't speak. [Native man throws down the Bible; Gaspar runs him through.]
- Aguirre (narrating): It is hard work. These natives are hard to convert.
- A breathtaking journey into the heart of darkness.
- On this river, God never finished his creation.
- Klaus Kinski - Don Lope de Aguirre
- Helena Rojo - Inez de Atienza
- Ruy Guerra - Don Pedro de Ursúa
- Del Negro - Brother Gaspar de Carvajal
- Peter Berling - Don Fernando de Guzman
- Cecilia Rivera - Florés de Aguirre
- Daniel Ades - Perucho
- Edward Roland - Okello
- Armando Polanah - Armando
- Alejandro Repullés - Gonzalo Pizarro