Air Bud is a 1997 American family comedy film that sparked the franchise centered on the real-life dog, Buddy, a Golden Retriever. The film's title is a wordplay on "Air Jordan", a nickname of basketball superstar Michael Jordan. It is the first film to be distributed together by longtime animation rivals Walt Disney Pictures and Warner Bros. Pictures, albeit in different territories (Disney handled US distribution, while Warner handled international distribution).
The original film was financially successful, grossing US$4 million in its opening weekend and totaling US$23 million for its final run, against an estimated $3 million budget.
- Ain't no rules says a dog can't play basketball.
- [on the phone] No, no, I don't want my dog doing beer commercials.
- [on the phone with an agent] Oh, wait, the Oprah woman... Oprah, you know, the Oprah woman, she likes dogs?
- By the powers invested in me, I award custody of the dog to Josh Framm. [bangs his gavel] Case closed. Thank God.
- [just after Josh did a light quick kiss, on her forehead, as he was about to go to his room] What's with Josh?
- Jackie Framm: [in the car, and Andera Framm crying] You okay? You okay, sweetie? You okay?
- Andrea Framm: [in the car seat] No!!
- Referee #1: Does he dribble?
- Arthur Chaney: No, but he might drool a little bit.
- Musical Band Teacher (cameo): [Josh is trying to play a trombone] No, no, no. Don't blow so hard. [Josh blows his trombone softer] Okay, blow a little harder. [Josh then blows the trombone's slide completely out; it falls to the ground, then other classmates and band members laugh at him]
- Air Buddy as Buddy
- Kevin Zegers as Josh Framm
- Michael Jeter as Norman Snively
- Wendy Makkena as Mrs. Jackie Framm
- Jasebel and Kati Mather as Andrea Framm
- Snazin Smith as Nurse (uncredited)
- Frank Welker as Animals' vocal effects (uncredited)