Alan Wake is a psychological action thriller video game developed by Remedy Entertainment and published by Microsoft Game Studios.
- Stephen King once wrote that “Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there’s little fun to be had in explanations; they’re antithetical to the poetry of fear.” In a horror story, the victim keeps asking "Why?" But there can be no explanation, and there shouldn’t be one. The unanswered mystery is what stays with us the longest, and it’s what we’ll remember in the end. My name is Alan Wake. I’m a writer.
- I’ve always had a vivid imagination, but this dream unsettled me. It was wild and dark and weird, even by my standards. So yes - it began with a dream. Following a typical nightmare pattern, I was late, desperately trying to reach my destination – a lighthouse – for some urgent reason I couldn’t remember. I’d been driving too fast down a coastal road to get there. ... I’d seen the hitchhiker too late. ... He was dead. I was convinced they’d put me in jail, and I would never see Alice again. ... Suddenly, his body was gone.
- It's not a lake; it's an ocean.
- I could feel Alice's presence close by... I understood what I had to do now. I knew how to write the ending to Departure. There's light, and there's darkness. Cause and effect. There's guilt and there's atonement. But the scales always need to balance. Everything has a price. That's where Zane had gone wrong. There's a long journey through the night back into the light.
- Alan, wake up.
- I have something important to tell you. It goes like this; For he did not know, that beyond the lake he called home, there lied a deeper, and darker ocean green. Where waves are both wilder and more serene. To its ports I've been, to its ports I've been.
- Follow my light.
- I entered your dream to teach you. The darkness is dangerous. It’s sleeping now. When it feels you coming, it will wake up. There’s no time, I can only show you the most important thing. The hitchhiker had been taken over by the Dark Presence. You can’t hurt him now. The darkness protects him from all harm. Only light can drive the darkness away and make him vulnerable again.
- Beyond the shadow you settled for, there's a miracle illuminated.
Barbara Jagger (The Dark Presence)
- You will never get her back.
- Enough. You will go no further.
- Stop. Stop now.
- Al, this may be the most awesome moment of our entire lives!
- See this headlamp? It's like a superpower! I can just look at one of those things and they die! It's my flaming eye of Mordor!
- I swear this is the slowest elevator in the world!
Episode 5: The Clicker
[At the church, Alan kicks open the back door, revealing a Taken w/ an axe.]
- Taken: Did you call 911?!
[Just as it readies its weapon, a flare gun goes off, obliterating it.]
- Barry: Guess that one saw the light!
[Alan and Sheriff Breaker walk out of the church to find their savior - Barry, wearing Christmas lights and a headlamp.]
- Barry: You didn't like that one? A tough audience. Well, I got plenty more.
- Alan: What...What're the Christmas lights for?
- Barry: Protection, man! Like garlic against vampires?
- Alan: Vampires.
[Barry nods his head.]