Jagged Little Pill (1995)
- Do I stress you out? My sweater is on backwards and inside out and you say 'How appropriate'
- An older version of me,
Is she perverted like me?
Would she go down on you in a theatre?
- ...and every time I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it
- You Oughta Know.
- My brothers,
They never went blind for what they did, but I may as well have.
In the name of the Father, the Skeptic and the Son,
I had one more stupid question.
- There's an obvious attraction to the path of least resistance in your life.
There's an obvious aversion no amount of my insistance could make you try tonight
- Wake Up.
- How can you just throw words around like grieve and heal and mourn?"
- The Couch.
- To all the unheard wisdom in the school yard: you think you're the right ones; you swear you're the charmed ones I'm sure. But how can you go on with such conviction? Who do you think you are when you question me?
- Can't Not.
- Supposed former infatuation junkie,
I sink three pointers and you wax poetically.
- You were uncomfortable in your own skin you were thirsty but mostly you were beautiful
If we were our paranoias i'd be joining you
if we were our incomes
If we were our obsessions
If we were our afflictions i'd be joining you"
- Dear popular boy I know you're used to getting everything so easily/ A stranger to the concept of reciprocity
People honor boys like you in this society
- I want to decide between survival and bliss
And though I know who I'm not I still don't know who I am
But I know I won't keep on playing the victim
Feast on Scraps (2002)
- Sometimes I feel more bigness than I've shared with you
Sometimes I wonder why I quell when I'm not required to
- Fear of Bliss.
- You're unsure and you're not ready so that must mean I want you
You're unavailable and disinterested and to you I look for comfort
- Bent for You.
- I'd speak of artistry you would roll your eyes skyward
When I'd speak of spirituality you would label it absurd
When I spoke of possibility you would frown and shake your head
If I had stayed much longer, I'd have surely imploded
- Unprodigal Daughter.
So-Called Chaos (2004)
- How to lie to yourself and thereby to everyone else,
How to keep smiling when you're thinking of killing yourself.
- I want to be naked running through the streets,
I want to invite this so-called chaos that you think I dare not be.
- So Called Chaos.
- You've been vilified, used as fodder, you deserve a piece of every record.
- This Grudge.
- I feel this, truly proclaimed, will help the curbing of this tendency
I know this sharing of shame will ensure that I won't forget myself so easily
- I am the funniest woman that you've ever known.
I am the dullest woman that you've ever known.
I'm the most gorgeous woman that you've ever known and you've never met anyone
Who is as everything as I am sometimes.
- "When [Jagged Little Pill] came out, I feel like I immediately went into survival mode to keep the 'overwhelm' that comes from being famous at bay. Ten years later, I have the luxury of time and distance to formally honor it."
- There's nothing ironic about being stuck in a traffic jam when you're late for something. [pause] Unless you're a town planner. If you were a town planner... and you were late for a seminar of town planners at which you were giving a talk on how you solved the problem of traffic congestion in your area, and couldn't get to it because you got stuck in a traffic jam, that'd be well ironic! [mimicking a town planner] 'I'm sorry, lads, you'll never guess!'
- Ed Byrne, Pedantic and Whimsical.