Alexia Putellas Segura (born 4 February 1994) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for Barcelona, which she captains, and the Spain national team. Having won all major club and individual awards available to a European player by 2022, she is widely regarded as the best contemporary female footballer in the world, and one of the greatest of all time
- I feel the social responsibility that comes with being a woman, my mother has it, you have it. The fact of being a woman means you have a social responsibility because in history, amongst all of them, they have brought about change such as women's suffrage etc. Now we are fighting for equal opportunities, valuing a person regardless of their sex and that is important for all women, that we are all conscious of that whatever our profession may be. Ours, even more so because I have not had female role models. Girls today see that they have named several Barça players as the best in Europe and the most important thing is that these girls have the opportunity to do the same. There is still a way to go.
- But when you put in the work and people have faith in you, the results come. That’s how it has been for me.
- We have to do exercises to normalize the fact that there is a football, which is played by men and women, and above all to report a lot because it is difficult for me to find information about when it is played. The day I get an interview and can talking about football is that we have achieved it (the normalization of women’s football).
- I won’t risk the years I have left to play.
- Fame is just another thing you have to deal with. My life has changed in the last year and it’s still changing, but I’m just concentrating on what I do every day. The rest doesn’t bother me.
- The captain is the first to make a commitment to the objectives that are set internally, they have to lead by example to reinforce that.
- I must confess that I wasn’t aware of where I was playing until it was over.
- We do not set limits.