All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series
All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series was an animated television series, produced by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, which aired from 1996 to 1999 with over 41 half-hour episodes produced. Don Bluth’s 1989 animated feature All Dogs Go To Heaven featured a roguish mutt named Charlie, who died, went to heaven (as all dogs do), conned his way back to Earth for vengeance on his killer and then found redemption through a little orphaned girl. The film warmed audience’s hearts, spawning a film sequel and this animated series.
The series picks up where All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 left off. Charlie and Itchy live in San Francisco (rather than New Orleans) as guardian angels, getting their missions from Anabelle. The show was a family comedy, with Charlie and Itchy getting mixed up in several misadventures while trying to do the right thing. Charlie’s villainous rival, Carface, also carried over into the series, as did Charlie’s pooch pals Sasha, Annabelle and Killer.
- 1 Season 1
- 2 Season 2
- 3 Season 3
- 4 External Links
The Doggone Truth
- Sasha: Get your filthy paws off me! (Carface and Killer kick her out) A gentlemen would treat a lady like this.
- Carface: But who says you were a lady
- Killer: Or if he was a gentleman?! (laughs, Carface slaps him on the face)
- Carface: Shut up!
- Annabelle: Charles! This is the last good deed you'll ever mess up.
- Charlie: It wasn't my fault.
- Annabelle: I understand... the double chili cheeseburger made you do it.
- Charlie: That fits... that's right.
- Annabelle: (poking Charlie) You need more training.
- (Off-screen, Annabelle's robe changes to a sergeant-type jacket and she, holding a club in her hand, taps her foot, and throws her halo to the dogs. Itchy catches it.)
- Annabelle: (putting a soldier's helmet on her head) Attention! (Charlie and Itchy stand straight) Angel 3rd-class Barkin, your status is deplorable! (a map of San Francisco) Mission 4-niner-bravo: "Helping Old Dog Cross Street". (An X appears where Annabelle pointed her stick on the map) You never showed up.
- Charlie: I overslept.
- Annabelle:(sniffs Charlie) Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire! (a lightning bolt strikes Charlie) Assignment 7-0-tango: "Return Kid's Missing Milk Money" (another X appears) You spent it on a movie and double popcorn.
- Charlie: I was framed!
- Annabelle:(sniffs Charlie) Oh, that's a good one! (Charlie moves away, a lightning bolt strikes Itchy)
- Itchy: Ow! That smarts! Ow, ooh! Charlie! (Charlie begins to laugh, another lightning bolt strikes him)
- Annabelle: At ease. Now, if you want to stay on Earth, you have to do a good deed. A real good deed. Until you do, I'm putting you on probation. (flushes Charlie and Itchy back to Earth) Dismissed!
- (After Charlie and Itchy have finished helping Sasha get her diner back the way it was, Annabelle appears in place of Charlie's reflection.)
- Annabelle: Charles?
- Charlie: (surprised) Whoa. Annabelle? Sneak up on a guy, why don't you?
- Annabelle: Congratulations. That's not quite what I meant by "good deed", but you're off probation, angel. For now, anyway. Uh-huh.
- (Annabelle blows Charlie a kiss, and then when Charlie looks again, she vanishes and his reflection comes back.)
- Sasha: Oh... everything's back the way it was.
- Itchy: Well, not everything. (removes his cap, revealing that his "Chi-Chi" wig is still on.) Got any glue remover?
- Itchy: Three? Whatever happened to one and two?
- [after Teddy runs off as a dog]
- Annabelle: Charles, he could get into a lot of trouble as a dog.
- Charlie: That was the whole point.
- Annabelle: Oh, you're hopeless. [runs after Teddy] Teddy!
- Charlie: Oh, my aching halo. Wait up, Annabelle!
- Sasha: (angrily to Charlie) I guess you were never a puppy, were you? Never helpless. Never scared and alone?
Cyrano de Barkinac
- Itchy: [chatting with Bess] I'm sorry. It's these darn short legs. You know, as a puppy, I once ran away from home. A week later they found me at the end of the driveway. [laughs] Ba-rump-bum. [chuckles]
- Bess: [giggling] Oh, Itchy. You're such a hoot.
- Itchy: Uh, a hoot? Oh, like an owl!
- [Bess laughs]
- Itchy [looking a Bess's "Wall of Fame"] "Winifred... Bessime... de Winkerville"...? Wow. Some pedigree pooch.
- Charlie: Maybe Bess is her ugly... [stops at an angry look from Itchy] ...I mean, unfortunate cousin.
- Charlie: [surprised] You're "Winifred Bessime---"?
- Bess: "Bess" for short.
- Charlie: Well how 'bout that, Itch? "Bess" is short, too.
- Bess: What would you say if I told you I was the fastest Cocker Spaniel in my class?
- [Itchy gulps and sweats, momentarily deprived of Charlie's prompting]
- Charlie: [playing a card game] You're bluffing.
- Itchy: [repeating Charlie's "prompt"] You're bluffing!
- Bess: Okay, so I was the second fastest.
- [Dog playing cards with Charlie throws down his hand in frustration]
- Charlie: Ha ha! I knew it! You can't con a master.
- Itchy: Ha. I knew it. You can't con a master.
- Bess: [offended] Well, then I guess I'd better practice some more. Good day! [walks off in a huff]
Mutts Ado About Nothing
- Charlie: Itch, I can't tell you and that vacuum cleaner apart anymore.
- Itchy: Oh, is that a short leg joke or something?
- Charlie: Who stepped on your tail? I was talking about your whining.
- Itchy: I'm gonna tell you a joke. My dog has no nose.
- Charlie: Then how does he smell?
- Itchy: Terrible. And no offense, but so do you, Charlie!
- Charlie: That's my signature smell.
- Itchy: Well then you need never worry about forgeries!
- Annabelle: All right. Stop that, you two!
- Charlie: Annabelle!
- Itchy: (gasps) Now see what you did?
- Annabelle: Eh-eh-em...?
- Charlie: Me? You're the one who...
- Annabelle: Shh. Enough! I can hear you arguing all the way to heaven! You're supposed to be angels! Role models, for goodness sake! Now Charles, Itchy, I want you to show a little understanding. A little kindness toward each other. Or else!
- Charlie & Itchy: Sorry.
- Annabelle: You two have a wonderful friendship, but it's at stake right now. If you don't do something to save it, I will.
- Itchy: Whoa... what are you gonna do, Annabelle?
- Annabelle: If you can't see the diamond because of its flaws, you must walk a mile on each other's paws.
- [The ghosts of Charlie and Itchy leave their own bodies.]
- Charlie: I don't like this.
- Annabelle: Too bad. Until you can learn to appreciate each other, you're stuck with it.
- [Charlie and Itchy's ghosts enter each other's bodies]
- Bess: [seeing Charlie and Itchy getting along again] Look, Sasha. Our plan worked.
- Bess and Sasha: [in unison] If they only knew.
- Charlie: Heh. Hey, Itch. Check out the girls. They never had a clue (about the body swap).
- Charlie and Itchy: [in unison] If they only knew. [laughing]
Heaventh Inning Stretch
- Leon: I got bologna in my shoes.
- Charlie: Yeah, feel funny, don't it?
- Annabelle: (crying happily, only without any tears showing) Charles Barkin, that's the most unselfish thing I've ever heard you say.
The Perfect Dog
- Charlie: Come on, pal. Ime-tay oo-tay am-scray.
- Itchy: O-nay. Listen, Charlie. I don't speak, uh, Pig Latin. I mean, I, I... I never studied abroad.
- [Sasha throws some kitchenware at them]
- Itchy: Right! I understand that!
- [Charlie and Itchy run out of the cafe]
- Sasha: [chasing after them] If I get my paws on you, Charlie Barkin, you'll wish you'd never been born!
- Charlie: Boy, Itch, is she crazy about me or what?
- Gerta: Do you know how sorry you look?
- Sasha: [looking like she hasn't slept in days] You don't understand. He's perfect.
- Gerta: Yeah, a perfect fake.
- Sasha: No matter... what I do, he's... a fake?
- Gerta: I overheard him talking to Itchy back at the diner. This is all one big scam to make you crack. Looks like it worked.
- Sasha: [crushing trash can lid in her paws] A scam, huh?
- Gerta: Do you want to borrow my baseball bat?
- Sasha: [upon discovering that Charlie had been playing possum so she would admit she was wrong about him] Charlie? You're alive! I'll murder you!
Travels with Charlie
- Charlie: [clinging to a trolley speeding toward San Francisco Bay] We're on a runaway trolley that's headed straight for a major carwash!
Magical Misery Tour
- Charlie: Hey, so David. Did you see the way I handled Otto and his mild pack? (chuckles) What a bunch of maroons.
- Sasha: Huh. Speaking of maroons, I know one who stood me up for a breakfast date!
- (Charlie gulps)
The Rexx Files
- Itchy: Who knew Annabelle was an Outer Limits fan?
- Charlie: Yeah, explains a lot, doesn't it?
- Charlie: What's cookin', good lookin'?
- Sasha: Nothing. It always smells like that in here.
The Big Fetch
- Charlie: (in voiceover) 9:01, I stepped into the elevator.
- (Charlie screams)
- Charlie: (in voiceover) 9:02 Remember, there is no elevator.
All Creatures Great and Dinky
- Annabelle: Hello, Charles.
- (Annabelle appears on the tin box or whatever it is.)
- Charlie: Annabelle.
- Itchy: This is another mission, right?
- (Charlie launches a pickle at the box with a spoon.)
- Annabelle: Yes, Itchiford. One of the Flea Bite regulars, eh-eh-um... needs your help.
- Charlie: Whoa. I hope it's that cute Pekingese up there.
- Annabelle: No. It's a cute female down there. (points downward under the table) Meet Moxie.
- (A drop of ketchup falls from the table into Moxie's path, but she dodges.)
- Moxie: Whoa! Hey, jerk! Why don't you slop on someone your own size?
- Charlie: A mouse? Who cares about a measly mouse?
- Annabelle: Heaven cares.
- (As soon as Moxie, a shrunken Charlie, and a shrunken Itchy, have reached where Moxie lives, Moxie catches her children playing with a piece of Styrofoam.)
- Moxie: Uh! Oh! Oh no no! I thought I told you little squeaks not to play with Styrofoam.
- Charlie: Hey, hey, hey. Lighten up, lady. They're only kids.
- Moxie: Hey, listen, hydrant face. If one of my babies eats Styrofoam, it stays in their tummy forever. That stuff lasts for over 500 years.
- (Moxie reaches into her pouch for a wad of paper and gives it to her children.)
- Moxie: Here. Play with this. Paper is safe.
- Charlie: (about Carface) That fat, dumb, unkind dog sure plays a mean pinball.
- Itchy: (to a flea who shrieks over Itchy and Charlie being returned to normal size) Hey, what are you complaining about? There's more of me to love.
History of All Dogs
Itchy: Burrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! (trying to sound like a plane)
Charlie: What is that noise?
Itchy: Look, Charlie. I'm an airplane.
Charlie: Well you have the build for it.
Itchy: Charlie, it's my turn to type.
Charlie: O.K. Just remember "dog" doesn't have a Q in it.
He Barked, She Barked
Charlie: Don't make me hurt you, smile boy!
Itchy: Yeah, what he said!
Charlie: Take your sunny disposition for a walk, Carface!
Carface: Actually, I prefer the name "Kindface".
Itchy: (with a thug look) You're right. He does have a kind face: the kind I'd like to forget! (Charlie and Itchy Laugh)
Charlie: (with a white cowboy hat on with a blue stripe on the lid) Good thing I kept this extra miracle dog tag in reserve. Never fear old chone I Shall nobley Endervy to Levitate you out of your Grievous Jeopardy.
Itchy: He's Going to float her out of there.
Charlie: (In confused voice) I I yyyy.
Itchy: (hiding in the shawdow, talking on a cell phone) Mutt for brains. This is lead dog. Move into position. Now!
Carface- (on the other end of the phone) Sure thing boss be right there.
Charlie- So beat it, Carface!
Itchy- Yeah, what he said!
Carface- I would beat you up, but I'm wearing my new bowtie.
Killer- So I sent my flunky assistant Carface.
Carface- (Carface stands up with a Angry look and Says) YOU'RE FLUNKY!