Anchors Aweigh (film)
Anchors Aweigh is a 1945 American Technicolor musical comedy film about two sailors go on a four-day shore leave in Hollywood, meet a young boy and his aunt, an aspiring young singer, and the sailors try to help her get an audition at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. In addition to a live-action Kelly dancing with Jerry Mouse the cartoon mouse, the film also features José Iturbi, Pamela Britton, Dean Stockwell and Sharon McManus.
- Directed by George Sidney. Produced by Joe Pasternak. Written by Natalie Marcin (story) and Isobel Lennart.
- I fall in love too easily, I fall in love too fast.
- What makes the sunset? What makes the moon rise? Is it my love for you?
- From the heart of a lonely poet, came a song for the girl he adored. 'Tho she tried very hard not to show it, she was terribly, terribly bored.
- Lola, baby... Forgotten you? Aw, honey, with the picture of you I've got in my mind, why even across the phone I can see every...
- [first lines]
- Admiral: On behalf of your commanding officer I'm sure I can tell Mr. Jose Iturbi that the officers and crew of ship are grateful to him for coming here, to lead our naval bands in this ceremony.
- José: Along with every other civilian, it is I who am grateful to you, and to all the men in the United States navy.
- Clarence: She begged me, true?
- Joseph: True, true!
- Clarence: She pleaded.
- Joseph: Got down on her bended knees.
- Donald: [to Joe] Tell us how you got your medal.
- Joseph: All right, I'll tell you how I got my medal. Now close your eyes... and try to think of the most beautiful place you've ever seen with greenest grass and the singingest birds and the shiningest sun. [cut to Donald's thoughts] Can you see it?
- Kids: Yeah!
- Joseph: Good! Now imagine me walking along, happy as a lark. Can you see me?
- Kids: Yeah!
- Joseph: Good! Of course, back then in the Navy, we wore white suits with blue stripes and a little white hat with a little red ball on top. Oh, I was so happy, I ran and jumped and leaped and played, just for the fun of it! My, it felt good! Oh, it was such a wonderful, wonderful day! When all of a sudden, I stepped into a big hole and fell...right to the bottom of it! I seemed to be in a long tunnel. 'Way ahead, I could see light, so I started towards. At the end, I found myself in a strange land. It looked...well, it looked just like a page out of storybooks. And everything was hushed and still, like your room at night after you've gone to sleep.
- Clarence: ♪ And so comparing you with all of these things is all that I can do ♪
- ♪ Because they add up to the charm of you. ♪
- Susan: ♪ Jealousy, you constantly torture me ♪
- ♪ I sometimes wonder that this spell I'm under ♪
- ♪ Can only be a melody for I know no one but me has won your heart. ♪
- Jerry: Look at me, I'm dancing!
- Joseph: 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Jerry: 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Joseph: 1, 2, 3.
- Jerry: 1, 2, 3.
- Joseph: La-la-la-la-la-la.
- Jerry: La-la-la-la-la-la.
- Joseph: You see.
- Jerry: It's easy.
- Clarence and Joseph: ♪ What a dish, what a dream, what a dame! ♪
- ♪ And she lives alone. ♪
- Clarence: You saved my life, so you owe me something.
- Joseph: Oh, it was I who saved your life, so now I owe you something! Hey look, have you gone crazy?
- Clarence: Look, I didn't ask you to save my life, but you did. So now I feel you are responsible for me.
- Joseph: Well I don't!
- Clarence: Well, what's the good of having a life saved when you can't have any fun with it?
- [last lines]
- Chorus: ♪ Anchors Aweigh, my boys, Anchors Aweigh. ♪
- Chorus and Donald: ♪ Farewell to college joys, we sail at break of day. ♪
- Chorus: ♪ Through our last night on shore, drink to the foam. ♪
- ♪ Until we meet once more, here's wishing you a happy voyage home. ♪
- ♪ Anchors Aweigh. ♪
- There's never been a musical to equal it!
- On waves of song, laughter and romance!
- It's a 21-Gun Musical Salute in Technicolor!
- On waves of song ... laughter and romance! Two love-lost sailors on a four-day leave of fun and frivolity!
- Frank Sinatra as Clarence “Brooklyn” Doolittle.
- Kathryn Grayson as Susan Abbott.
- Gene Kelly as Joseph “Joe” Brady.
- José Iturbi as Himself.
- Dean Stockwell as Donald Martin.
- Pamela Britton as Girl from Brooklyn.
- Rags Ragland as Police Sergeant. (credited as "Rags" Ragland)
- Billy Gilbert as Café Manager.
- Henry O'Neill as Admiral Hammond.
- Carlos Ramirez as Carlos.
- Grady Sutton as Bertram Kraler.
- Leon Ames as Admiral's Aide. (reads citation for medals)
- Sara Berner as Jerry Mouse. (uncredited)