Jump to navigation Jump to search
- I hate these whiny middle-class kids co-opting people's real suffering … Videos ripping off news photography of people in the Third World! I mean, we live like czars. … These people who are the most fascinated with violence are the people who live the most privileged, cushy lives … They tend to be college-educated dweebs who worship William Burroughs. That's so fucking boring. When I see my friends lying in caskets and put in the ground, when you're really confronted with it, it's not cool, it's not Trent Reznor. I'd just like to make something beautiful. It's something to aspire to.
- On nihilistically violent films such as Se7en and music videos such as Smashing Pumpkins' "Bullet with Butterfly Wings, as quoted in "Dreaming of Better Days : Ann Magnuson's apocalyptic cultural cocktail" by Jason Anderson, in Eye Weekly (22 February 1996)
- When you're friends with Lance, you kind of weave in and out of his life but I met him in 1978 when I got to New York City and was hanging out at CBGB's. I really think that Lance was responsible for getting me to New York because I watched An American Family alone in the kitchen and none of my other family members were interested in it, and I was fascinated, as everybody my age was, by Lance and I really think that's what got me there. I immediately started hanging out at all the clubs that he hung out in, and I wanted to go to the places that I'd seen on television. … You know, I honestly can't remember the exact moment but I know I was dazzled, I was just this little hick from West Virginia and I was meeting a celebrity, an icon, somebody who had made it.
- Comments after memorial services for Lance Loud, in an interview by Susan Raymond (26 January 2002), quoted in Lance Loud : A Death in An American Family, Memories & Tributes - Ann Magnuson
- Ann Magnuson official site
- Ann Magnuson on IMDb
- OffOffOff.com (Oct 20, 2001): "Burning Woman" (review of autobiographical show), by Robin Eisgrau
- Entertainment Weekly #299 (Nov 3, 1995): "10 Stupid Questions: Magnuson Force"