Antz is a 1998 computer animation film produced by DreamWorks Animation and Pacific Data Images, released September 19, 1998 in United States. It features the voices of well-known actors such as Woody Allen, Dan Aykroyd, Sharon Stone, Jennifer Lopez, Sylvester Stallone, Anne Bancroft, Gene Hackman, Christopher Walken and Danny Glover as various members of an ant society. Some of the main characters share facial similarities with the actors who voice them.
- All my life, I've lived and worked in the big city, which now that I think of it, is kind of a problem since I always feel uncomfortable around crowds. I mean it, I-I have this fear of enclosed spaces. I-I-I, everything makes me feel trapped all the time. You know, I always tell myself, there's gotta be something better out there, but maybe I think too much. I-I-I think everything must go back to the fact that I had a very anxious childhood. You know, my, my mother never had time for me. You know, when you're - when you're the middle child in a family of five million, you don't get any attention. I mean, how's it possible? And I've always had these, these abandonment issues, which plagued me. My father was basically a drone like I've said, and, you know, the guy flew away when I was just a larva. And my job, don't get me started on, 'cause it really annoys me. I was not cut out to be a worker, I'll tell you right now. I-I-I feel physically inadequate. I, I, my whole life I've never, I've never been able to lift more than ten times my own body weight, and, and when you get down to it, handling dirt is, you know, ewwww, is not my idea of a rewarding career. It's this whole gung-ho super-organism thing that, that, that I - you know, I can't get, I try but I can't get it. I mean you know, what is it, I'm supposed to do everything for the colony, and, and what about my needs? What about me? I mean, I gotta believe there's someplace out there that's better than this! Otherwise, I'll just curl up in a larval position and weep! The whole system makes me feel - insignificant!
- Will you please calm down? You're not going to let a little near-death experience ruin your mood, are you?
- There you have it. Your average 'boy-meets-girl, boy-likes-girl, boy-changes-underlying-social-order' story. So, what else can I tell you? We rebuilt the colony - it's even better than before, you know, 'cause now it has a very large indoor swimming pool. Bala and I, incidentally, are thinking of starting a family. You know, just a few kids, maybe a million or two to begin with. And I'm, I'm workin' with a new therapist, you know, terrific, absolutely terrific. He's, he's been putting me in touch with my inner maggot, which is helping me a great deal. And, you know, I finally feel like I found my place, and you know what? It's right back where I started. But the difference is, this time I chose it.
- Princess Bala: Labor? What do you know about labor? How would you feel if you were expected to give birth every 10 seconds for the rest of your life?
- General Mandible: Sacrifice. To some, it is just a word. To others it is a code. The life of one individual ant does not matter. What matters is the colony. And each soldier knows that he's willing to live for the colony...to fight for the colony...to die for the colony.
- Weaver: [to Z] Are you nuts?! You want me to switch places with you? Do you have any idea how much trouble you can get in even talkin' about impersonatin' a soldier? You can get in trouble just for listening to someone talkin' about impersonatin' a soldier! [Everyone who was listening in pretends to fall back asleep]
- Z: Please, Weaver, please. Think of all the things I've done for you.
- Weaver: [pauses] Hm. Can't think of any.
- Z: Okay, well, think of all the things that I'm gonna do for you!
- Z: [watching the other ants dance in unison] What a bunch of losers. Mindless zombies capitulating to an oppressive system--
- Bala: Hi. Wanna dance?
- Z: [upon turning to see her] Absolutely!
- Barbatus: [his last words to Z] Don't make my mistake, kid. Don't follow orders all your life. Think for yourself. Uh...
- [Z and Bala both sigh when they escape from the magnifying glass, and hide in the "wilderness"]
- Z: Oh, don't worry. I'm okay.
- Bala: You?! You're okay?! Hey, who cares about you?! I almost died here!
- Z: Will you please calm down? You're not going to let a little near-death experience ruin your mood, are you?
- Bala: Hey, this is not a mood. Okay? You're not listening to me. Where am I?
- [the praying mantis snores soundly, as the birds chirp in the background]
- Bala: Look, what's-your-name. Just climb up that tree, and find out where I am.
- Z: Look, th-the trick is not to panic. You know, h-h-he w-who panics is lost. Aw... What am I saying? I mean, we are lost. [he climbs up a stem of a thistle plant, but it droops over downwards towards Bala] Whoa! Whoa!
- Bala: [she gasps at Z]
- Z: [he grins and chuckles sarcastically at Bala, but the thistle part of the plant breaks off of the thistle plant, and falls to the ground, with Z holding on to it] Ow!
- Bala: [to the audience] I've been kidnapped by the village idiot.
- Z: Who's the bigger idiot? [he gets up, as he plucks the thistle thorns off of his body] The idiot, or the idiot, who gets kidnapped by the idiot?
- Bala: What'd you do? Talk those termites to death? I can't believe you tried to pass yourself off as a soldier. Why are you stalking me? Don't you realize that I'm...out of your league?
- Z: You're the one, who was cruising the worker bar looking for a little action. And you just happened to find it--the swarthy, earthy, sensual worker.
- Bala: Please. I was slumming it. Don't you get it? I chose you, because you were the most pathetic little bug in the joint.
- Z: You know, I was gonna let you become part of my most erotic fantasies. But now, you can just forget that! Write it off! You know, I-I guess what you prefer is Old Blood and Guts! This guy's idea of a romantic night out is two seats at a public execution! Boy. You... You really chose the right husband. [he climbs up a spiked stem of a rose]
- Bala: For your information, the General and I are deeply, deeply in...engaged! You come right back down here this instant! We are marching straight back to the colony, so that I am going straight back to the palace, and tell my mother...
- Z: [he moves some of the rose's leaves out of his way with his hand, and sees the "monolith" (a drinking fountain) in the distance, the first of the series of landmarks on the way to Insectopia that Grebs told him about] The monolith!
- Bala: ...and you can go back to your stupid little buggy bar!
- Z: Absolutely. Wonderful. [he climbs back down the rose's spiked stem towards Bala, who is standing on the ground] That's an appealing offer. But, considering the options, you go back. Okay? 'Cause I'm going to Insectopia.
- Bala: Oh, come on. Insectopia? You're crazier than I thought.
- Z: Yeah. Well, I happen to have it on a very reliable source. [he clears his throat] Or... Or should I say, a drunk-raving source? But the point is, I'm convinced the place definitely exists!
- Bala: Stop! I order you to stop, worker!
- Z: Hey! I got a name! Okay?! It's Z! And out here, you can't order me around!
- Bala: All right! Fine! No problem! Grr!
- [Bala goes to the "monolith" by herself, while Z goes deeper into the "wilderness", but he couldn't see where he was going; suddenly, the ground underneath him starts to shake and rise, as he panics and finds himself on the back of the praying mantis, who is woken up by the commotion Z caused]
- Z: Wha-what? [he continues panicking, as the praying mantis gets up]
- Praying Mantis: [he turns his head around towards Z] ROOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR! [he roars and snaps his mandibles at Z]
- Z: [he gasps in sudden fright, and escapes from the praying mantis, and then starts running and screaming for his life, as he chases after Bala, who is heading towards the "monolith"] PRINCESS! PRINCESS! WHERE ARE YOU?! BALA?! BALA?! WAIT FOR ME!
- Z: Let me ask you something - what made you come to the bar that night?
- Bala : I guess I was looking for a little trouble.
- Z: Well, trouble's my middle name. Actually, my middle name is Marion, but I don't want you spreading that around.
- Mosquito: What if, like, we're just these tiny things...and we're just, like, part of this whole other huge universe...that's, like, so big we don't even know it exists?
- Ladybug: Man, that is so deep.
- We did know about 'A Bug's Life.
- It's computer animation. It's a new industry. It has limitations: It doesn't do skin, hair and clothing real well, he said. ``Take away skin, hair and clothing and you have crabs and insects.'
- Tim Johnson 
- Schlock version of A Bug's Life.
- John Lasseter The Pixar Touch, Price, p. 173
- Every ant has his day.
- Every ant runs the colony.
- See the world from a whole new perspective.
- Actual size of the next really big movie star.
- Antz iz coming 10-2-98.
- "The hero." (Z tagline)
- "The princess." (Bala tagline)
- "Best friend." (Weaver tagline)
- "The general." (Mandible tagline)