Rival Caesars (1903)
- Co-written with Will H. Dilg under the joint pseudonym Desmond Dilg
- The reason there are no great poets and writers now is because there are no great deeds or heroes to write about. The world is becoming tame and sad and dreary.
- Why should a man deliberately encircle his mind with needless prison walls. No man can reach highest excellence who puts limits to his own thought.
- It can postpone death, cure disease, release the captive, bring sight to the blind, clothe the naked, feed the hungry, destroy the despot, win the love of women, and procure all reasonable earthly happiness to any man who is not entirely too old. In course of time perhaps it may even resurrect the dead, create life and storm the very gates of heaven, for money is force and force is the essence of the universe.
- Women have ever been the stumbling block and betrayers of ambition.
- Women find little pleasure in the society of women.
- Most women you know are very much interested in the man who is reputed to be deeply admired by other women.
- Those three divine attributes of a perfect woman: goodness, beauty and wealth.
- There is no field of activity for great men without the coming of great wars, great struggles and great revolutions.
- Why do men go to war? Is it not in some way to better their condition. All these new fangled notions that men fight for other things than their own personal advantage is pure delusion. It is the solid things of life that men are ever after, though some of them haven't the courage to admit it. What is love of country but love of it's good things?
- Now what I desire to know is this: If we want to shoot a man and he badly wants to shoot us, why should we not take his property (if we can) as well as his life? Isn't that the way men win a 'fatherland' first? Don't they fight and conquer the original owners and then take the land? Very well then, what is the good of being a soldier, of risking your life, and being a brave man in battle, if you cannot sieze from your beaten enemy, what your greater valor wins and what you stand badly in need of?
- What does it matter whether millions of semi-brainless beings curse or bless my memory? It is equally one to me whether they hang my bones in chains like they did the bones of Cromwell, or build a pyramid of stone over my mouldering coffin. Today only do I regard. Today I know. Today is mine. Today I wish to be something.
- Good or bad I propose to be something great!