Bacha Khan University attack
The Bacha Khan University attack, carried out on 20 January 2016, left at least 22 people dead and 20 injured at Bacha Khan University near Charsadda, Pakistan. The Tariq Geedar Afridi faction of the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan claimed responsibility for the attack, although the main spokesman for Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan later denied and condemned the assault.
- I'm deeply grieved over the attack, and we are determined and resolved in our commitment to wipe out the menace of terrorism from our homeland.
- Strongly condemn cowardly terrorist attack on Bacha Khan Uni Charsadda today. The nation stands united & resolute against terrorism.
- The whole nation salutes our hero Prof Hamid who was martyred, pistol in hand, defending the students at Bacha Khan University.
- Imran Khan (Dunya News)
- TTP strongly condemn the recent attack on Bacha Khan University at Charsadda
- Muhammad Khurasani, spokesperson for Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (Twitter)
- The Philippines expresses the hope that the perpetrators will be identified and held responsible,...
- Strongly condemn the terror attack at Bacha Khan University in Pakistan. Condolences to families of the deceased. Prayers with the injured.
- Another attack against the innocent, the youth and the very future of Pakistan. One year after the deadly attack on the Peshawar Army School, today, Bacha Khan University in the very same Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province has been targeted. An attack on a place of study is not only cowardly, but it is also an attack on all of us who believe in the power and the importance of education. I wish to express my heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of the victims. The European Union stands firm by the people of Pakistan, the Pakistani authorities, and others in the region in their fight against terrorism. The fight is not theirs alone; we as the international community must all continue to face it and overcome it together.
- The Secretary-General condemns the terrorist attack by armed militants at Bacha Khan University in the city of Charsadda, Pakistan, today, which killed at least 19 people and wounded dozens more. He is appalled by such acts of violence and calls for the perpetrators to be swiftly brought to justice. The Secretary-General recalls that just over a year ago Pakistan experienced one of the deadliest school attacks in its history near the city of Peshawar, where more than 150 people died, mostly children. He reaffirms that attacks against students, teachers or schools can never be justified. The right to education for all must be firmly protected. Schools and educational facilities must be respected as safe and secure spaces. The Secretary-General calls for proportionate and necessary measures to be taken to ensure that schools in areas of insecurity and conflict are adequately protected. The Secretary-General extends his heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government and people of Pakistan.
- I strongly condemn today's appalling attack on Bacha Khan University in Charsadda... We offer our deepest condolences to the victims and their families during this time of grief... The United States stands with the government and people of Pakistan and is committed to supporting their efforts to fight terrorism.
- Canada condemns in the strongest of terms today’s terrorist attack at Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Pakistan. Students, faculty and others were targeted in a centre of higher education where they were working to improve their lives and advance their communities. Canada will continue to support Pakistan in the fight against terrorism and believes that continued and determined action against all forms of terrorism is essential to building a prosperous and stable region. Canada stands with the people of Pakistan at this tragic moment. Our thoughts are with the family members and loved ones of those who were killed, and we wish a speedy recovery to the wounded.
- Encyclopedic article on Bacha Khan University attack at Wikipedia