Jump to navigation Jump to search
Bangalore Nagarathnamma (3 November 1878 – 19 May 1952) Indian Carnatic singer, cultural activist, scholar, and courtesan
About Radhika Santawanam (Appeasing Radhika)
- I cannot let this book go no matter how many times I read it...it is as adorable as Lord Krishna.
- As it is not only written by a woman but by a woman who was born into the same community as mine, I intend to edit and publish it in a proper form.
- Perhaps the concept of shame applies to only women but not men. Maybe because she was a ‘prostitute’ she was able to write crude depictions of sex without shame. In that case, it surely must not suit the supposed learned men to depict conjugal pleasures in the same way?. (as a sarcastic retort to criticism of the original work and her 1910 edition containing sexual/erotic passages, believed to being unsuitable for women)
- Firstpost Article - An early 20th century tale of censorship - 22 Mar 2020 Archive
- the wording of the quote is different in the sources provided(probably due to translation), but the tonality and meaning are similar.